Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian Tripel Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
New-B-Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Tripel Help

I would like to brew a partial mash belgian tripel. Many of the recipes I've seen include coriander seed and orange peel, I don't think these are typical for a tripel. Thoughts?
I'm thinking about 12 lbs pale DME, .5-1 lb of crystal. 1oz of hallertauer at 60 and 1 oz at 10 mins.
Not sure on the yeast yet, any suggestions there would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

never brewed a tripple, but i think those hops look a bit low also i think most i have seen use some sugars to help them attune better.

Battle Axe brewing

Old 08-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Tripel's have NO crystal. I use WY3787. Check my drop down recipe.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I would use the lightest Pils malt extract...if possible. I wouldn't use Crystal but I would prob use some Carapils...and maybe a little Aromatic if I wanted to add something else. And the sugar of course (at least a pound). Just regular table (cane) sugar is fine. IMLE, adding the sugar to the fermenter right after high krausen yields a brew with a lower FG, drier finish, and with less 'alcohol' in the flavor profile. You'll want this beer to finish lower than you'd expect...the alcohol increases the perception of sweetness.

The Wyeast 3787 and WLP530 are supposedly the Westmalle strain.
The Wyeast 1388 and WLP570 are supposedly the Duvel strain.
The Wyeast 1214 and WLP500 are supposedly the Chimay strain.

IMLE, the Westmalle strain should be the spiciest of the three (Tripels are more spicy than fruity).

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 08-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
LakeErieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you want to stick to the style, ditch the spices and crystal malt.

You will need to mash some Pilsner malt if you want to do a partial mash trippel. As far as other fermentables, go with about 20% table sugar and get the rest of your gravity points from Extra Light DME.

Increase your bittering addition to yield at least 20 IBU. I don't think an ounce of Hallertau at 60 minutes is going to get you that.

Any of the yeasts that SpanishCastle recommended will work well as long as you make a starter and aerate well. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
New-B-Brewer
Recipes 

Thanks for all the responses. I knew the sugar thing just forgot to include it in my list above. I didnt think the spices sounded like they should be in a tripel. I'll go back to the drawing board and come up with something using Pils extract, maybe a little carapils for a fresher taste and sugar.

LakeErieBrew, good to hear from another NE Ohioan, I'm in Strongsville.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If you use small (and I do mean small) amounts of spices it makes for a tasty Tripel. It will accentuate the spices of the yeast. You really shouldn't use any crystal or C-Pils if brewing with DME. It will not be necessary. There are plenty of unfermentables in the DME. The Belgians add sugar to dry out the beer. Unfermentables defeat this purpose.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
LakeErieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good to see another Ohioan on HBT.

Carapils is crystal malt. It would be counterproductive to include in a trippel due to adding more unfermentables to your wort. The goal is to achieve ridiculously high attenuation. That's why it is recommended to use a large percentage of sugar and basically just Pilsner malt.

How big is your pot? If you could manage to mash 5 or 6 pounds of Pilsner malt at about 145-149 degrees for 60-90 minutes, I think you could have really nice results. This would reduce the amount of DME you would need.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I think that Poobah made a good point about the fact that since you're using extract, Carapils may not be the best choice. But Carapils is certainly not counter-productive in an AG recipe. A small amount of Carapils is pretty standard imo. My 1.088 Tripel #2 finished @ 1.008 and it was 12# Pils/.5# Carapils/1.75# cane sugar...and I did a decoction on that one which makes it even less fermentable.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 08-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
LakeErieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We can agree that Carapils won't be necessary in the OPs case, and agree to disagree in an AG version. It doesn't make sense to me to purposely add unfermentables, even if it's just a little bit, when the goal is to attenuate 90%+.

If it works for you, go for it. That's what it's all about.

Quick Reply