Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian-style table beer recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
nufad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Belgian-style table beer recipe

This is my first attempt at a Belgian table beer. I'd appreciate any feedback:

Volume: 5.5g
OG: 1.031
Est. FG: 1.005
Est. IBU: 19

4 lbs pilsner
1 lbs white wheat malt
8 oz flaked wheat
8 oz biscuit
Mashed at 150F

15 min - 0.5 oz Sorachi ace (12%)
10 min - 0.5 oz Citra (11%)
0 min - 0.5 oz Citra (11%)

Wyeast 3711, fermented at 75F

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Soilworker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Can't comment on your grain bill since I'm not doing all grain brewing yet but your OG seems a bit low so I would worry about the body of the beer being a bit lacking. Here's a good post on making good session beers if you haven't read it yet: Session Ale Brewing Tips. Good luck!

Secondary: West Flanders Red, Golden Sour, Saison Brett #2 with Brett custersianus and Brett naardenensis, Saison Brett #1 with Brett bruxellensis

On Deck: 100% Brett IPA, West Flanders Red #2 with ECY BugFarm

Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Your grainbill looks good, I tend to let the yeast do most of the work in terms of flavor/aroma in Belgians, so if I were to brew this I probably would have just stuck with a bittering charge and maybe some noble hops @15 min, but that's just me.

Next time maybe consider subbing in some Vienna or Munich for some of the Pilsner if you're finding this batch lacking in complexity.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
nufad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a saison a few months ago with Citra and EKG, and I really liked it. The tropical fruit notes from the citra nicely complimented the spicier character of 3711. I haven't brewed this yet, so I think I'll sub 2 pounds of the pilsner for vienna.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My only advice is to mash high. 3711 and a 1.031 og will leave you with a very thin beer, although 1.5lbs of wheat should help.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Looks tasty to me. I'd be very curious to know how that hop schedule marries with the French Saison yeast. More of a cosmopolitan table beer, rather than strictly Belgian. The lemony character of the Sorachi Ace and the fruitiness of the Citra with no real bittering addition should fit pretty well, but the proof is in the pint.

With such a short boil would DMS from the Pils be a concern, or would you do a full boil and just not add hops until the 15 minute addition?

Also, for my taste, I might go for 1 more pound of Pils. 1.031 is a little lower than I would want to go. And I second the higher mash temp, as well.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
nufad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
With such a short boil would DMS from the Pils be a concern, or would you do a full boil and just not add hops until the 15 minute addition?

Also, for my taste, I might go for 1 more pound of Pils. 1.031 is a little lower than I would want to go. And I second the higher mash temp, as well.
It would be a full 90min boil to drive out the DMS. I wanted try my hand at a sub 4% ABV beer, hence the lower gravity. I hope mashing in at 155F and including vienna and wheat give it enough body, but, as you said, the proof is in the pint. I'll update when I open the first bottle in 6 weeks or so.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

I guess the main thing to try to control on this beer is the attenuation. If the grain bill and mash temp are on point, it could turn out really well. It is probably easiest to control if you use a yeast you are familiar with. I have never used the 3711, so I have no idea how it attenuates.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
I guess the main thing to try to control on this beer is the attenuation. If the grain bill and mash temp are on point, it could turn out really well. It is probably easiest to control if you use a yeast you are familiar with. I have never used the 3711, so I have no idea how it attenuates.
3711 will chew through just about everything but the fermenter, but for how dry it finishes it leaves a surprisingly full mouth feel. Something about glycerol production during fermentation IIRC.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
nufad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
3711 will chew through just about everything but the fermenter, but for how dry it finishes it leaves a surprisingly full mouth feel. Something about glycerol production during fermentation IIRC.
This has been my experience with 3711. My last saison finished up at 1.005 after 3 weeks in primary, and it had great mouthfeel.

Quick Reply