Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian Strong Ale - critique needed stat!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #21
BaronVonMeisterburger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess all I had to do was think about it. It's bubbling once every 20 seconds or so again. When I looked at it this morning it wasn't nearly as active.

I'll raise the temp and give it a little swirl anyhoo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I raised the temp to 73. The airlock was steadily bubbling once every 15-20 seconds this morning.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
sounds normal for all yeast. Check the gravity after 2 weeks with your hydrometer
what he said

Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
what he said
Belgian yeast tend to benefit from raised temps as fermentation slows down. They quite often drop out and go to sleep too early if you have a temp drop as it slows. if you don't control your fermentation temps carefully, this will happen naturally as the temperature increase created by the fermentation processes will drop when fermentation subsides.
Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #25
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Very good

Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #26
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My re-quote lacked meaning perhaps. Theres too much bubble counting, which means very little. Yes, you could ramp it up, but the OP doesnt even know where the fermentation is at. Everyone is happy with the help given, i am not seeing any.

Also, swirling, not worth the risk.

Often people will totally disregard advice given, they want the easy way, or, they want justification for a decision already made.

Dont get me wrong, i see you asked for the gravity as well, thats great. All your wonderful belgian yeast knowledge is superb, but your explaining something someone wrote down and you memorized. First take a gravity reading, than see if you need to mess with the beer. Would you swirl and ramp up after you hit your target F.G.?

Also...We see here the ambient temp is 67F, that means fermentation was probably peaking at 74-75F, ramping up makes sense if you fermented lower than the desired ramp.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #27
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

By the way, If you could see my face and here my voice, you would know i mean no disrespect. Just trying to help.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #28
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Pfft, takes more than words to get me stirred up

Clearly the OP is new and has a lot to learn. ALWAYS check gravity if you are concerned. Check fermentation temps NOT ambient. etc etc

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, i see you asked for the gravity as well, thats great. All your wonderful belgian yeast knowledge is superb, but your explaining something someone wrote down and you memorized.
Actually.... I have done close to 50 Belgian beers so i believe i am qualified to offer an opinion on Belgian yeast. Having experienced many of the pitfalls, I have had to learn many lessons the hard way, etc etc
Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #29
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't see the need to check gravity since the airlock was bubbling steadily again. I raised the temp by 5 degrees, moved the bucket around a little bit and activity increased for a day. It has slowed down to one bubble per minute this morning.

It has been fermenting for a week now. I may take a gravity reading later today for the sake of curiosity, but i think everything is proceeding just fine and thanks for your help.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant View Post

I have done close to 50 Belgian beers

Oh Lord, how i do love the belgian beer style.

Quick Reply