New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian Strong Ale - critique needed stat!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
BaronVonMeisterburger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Belgian Strong Ale - critique needed stat!

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 18.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
8.0 oz                Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)               Grain         1        4.9 %         
4.0 oz                Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)               Grain         2        2.4 %         
8 lbs                 Munich LME (14.0 SRM)                    Extract       3        78.0 %        
8.0 oz                Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM)             Sugar         4        4.9 %         
1.00 oz               Challenger [7.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           5        23.4 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Saaz [2.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min            Hop           6        4.3 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Hallertauer [4.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min     Hop           7        4.4 IBUs      
1 lbs                 Candi Syrup, Amber d-45 [Boil for 10 min Sugar         8        9.8 %         
0.75 oz               Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)           Spice         9        -             
0.50 oz               Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins)       Spice         10       -             
2.0 pkg               Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) [ Yeast         11       -

I'd appreciate your comments, suggestions or even pot shots on this recipe that I am brewing tomorrow after work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Munich LME is 50% two row and 50% Munich

Wyeast 1388 is allegedly the Duvel strain.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Should be decent, but....

I would double the special b ( I like special b)

Ditch the clear candi sugar and double the amber. Clear candi is a rip off in my opinion. If you don't want extra color by using amber or dark, just use table sugar. In my experiments clear candi sugar provided no discernible taste benefits. If you already have it... Well just chuck it in

I would lose the corriander and orange peel. You would need a lot to stand out in this one. I have found that both spices better suit light colored Belgian beers

I've never used that yeast for this dark a beer (ie only golden Or blonde ones) but I would strongly advise keeping the fermentation temps down for the first couple of days. Around 65 to 68ish should do the trick. Then you can slowly raise it

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for your reply.

I can add more special B. I've never used it, but it sounds like I'll like it. It will make it a brownish ale. I was going for Amberish, but I'm not too concerned about the color.

The clear candi sugar is just something I have to use this time and have since learned about alternatives.

I'll probably still use the orange peel and corriander. I've had it in some darker ales and it tastes pretty good. Ommegang Adoration comes to mind.

Thanks for the tip on fermentation temp. Luckily, the one you suggested is my default.

How long should I age this one?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Kinda depends. You bottling or kegging?

I'm not a super patient dude, and I only have two fermenters. I usually let it ferment to my target fg and leave it another week. If I'm bottling I I'll bottle and leave it three weeks to carb up and condition for a Bit.

If I'm kegging I'd leave it cold in the keg for a week or two

After that it's anyone's guess. It's a darker beer so age might improve it. However the spices will fade over time

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's in the primary.

changes to the original recipe: 8oz of special B and 1 oz of orange peel.

The OG was right were it was supposed to be at 1.070. The color changed to 23.1 SRM. It's a dark amber.

Should be 7.8% ABV.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm bottling. I pretty patient. I'll probably let this one sit a while.

I lost the forum "quote post" and "edit post" buttons. That's weird.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
sockmerchant
Recipes 

I think with that recipe you essentially have a dubbel.

I'd crack one open every week and see how it develops. I freakin love special b. it gives that raisony, dark fruit taste. If you dig belgians you'll know the one i'm talking about.

Currently fermenting the popular westy12 clone (the pious) that can be found in the recipes. I cant wait for that to be ready. the hydro samples taste amazing.

Also have an american brown fermenting. I chucked a bit of special b in there too. should be tasty

Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep, I love the raisin note found in many commercial Belgian ales. Special B didn't smell like raisins when I brewed with it. It smelled good, but not raisiny at all. I imagine it takes a while for the raisin note to develop after it's brewed.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Making Belgian ales seems like the fastest way to recoup my beer gear investment. Most of them are $3-$7 per 12oz at the store. This batch cost me about $1 per 12oz.

Quick Reply