New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian Quad Mini-Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #1
DeadYetiBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Belgian Quad Mini-Mash

So, I'm working on the best beer recipe in the world, and not really knowing a whole lot about Belgian Quads, I thought I would get some input from the vast pool of knowledge here. I developed this recipe from a blend of the Westvleteren Abt 12 and the Rochefort 10 recipes found in the Beer Captured book. I'm figuring in about 10 days for primary, with plenty of time to clear, and bottle condition. Let me know if any ingredients (or amounts) seem a little off.

16 oz Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
8 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
4 oz Belgian Biscuit Malt
4 oz British Chocolate Malt
4 oz Belgian Special B Malt
11 lbs Muntons Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Belgian Dark Candy Sugar
4 oz Malto Dextrin
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 5% AA bittering hop @60 mins
1 oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker 3.3% AA bittering hop @60 mins
¼ oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker flavor hop @15 mins
¼ oz. Styrian Goldings flavor hop @15 mins
1 tsp. Irish Moss
¼ oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker aroma hop @2 mins
¼ oz. Styrian Goldings aroma hop @2 mins
1 pkg. Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity
1¼ cup M&F Extra Light Dry Malt Extract to prime

Est. OG - 1.122
Est. FG - 1.012
Est. IBU - 25.8
EST. SRM - 37.7

It's a big beer but should be very tasty and drinkable. I doubt it will hit the Est. FG just due to yeast limitations. Any comments from anyone that has done a Quad or Belgian Dark Strong Ale are appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
beeraggie

Recipes 

Looks Great, might have to try it

Screw styles...brew what you like!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, please keep us posted!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

i'd say it'll take more than 10 days in the primary...i'd probably leave it a month.

make a HUGE starter and make sure the gravity is down before you transfer or you'll have to repitch.

you may want to check your IBUs against other belgian strong ale recipes...they tend to be more malty than hoppy and it looks like you may have too much hops in there for the style. i'm not at home or i'd check for you.

other than that, it looks fantastic

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-08-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Brewing a Westy 12 clone is my new obsession. Tasting my first attempt at bottling time I was shocked at how good it tasted. Its probably carbed by now, and I'm going to bring it to my homebrew club meeting on the 14th. We're small but generous, 2 meetings ago one guy brought a bottle($100 for a six-pack) for everyone to try. So everyone has tasted the real thing, if they think my beer even comes close(green as it will be) I'll post the recipe. Mine is AG though, you'd have to convert it.
BTW, Westy is clearly the better beer. Not even close. Have you had both?
Good luck, great beer to shoot for.
edit> With that OG/FG you're looking at 12.8%ABV, I agree it won't probably go that low FG, but still the SG may be too high. Westy 12 is ~10.2% ABV according to beeradvocate.com.

Last edited by landhoney; 09-08-2007 at 05:09 AM.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
Brewing a Westy 12 clone is my new obsession. Tasting my first attempt at bottling time I was shocked at how good it tasted. Its probably carbed by now, and I'm going to bring it to my homebrew club meeting on the 14th. We're small but generous, 2 meetings ago one guy brought a bottle($100 for a six-pack) for everyone to try. So everyone has tasted the real thing, if they think my beer even comes close(green as it will be) I'll post the recipe. Mine is AG though, you'd have to convert it.
Good luck, great beer to shoot for.
edit> With that OG/FG you're looking at 12.8%ABV, I agree it won't probably go that low FG, but still the SG may be too high. Westy 12 is ~10.2% ABV according to beeradvocate.com.
Yeah i saw that thread, it made me so jealous. I am actually suprised someone responded to this so long after my brewing partner posted it. We actually went to AG so i'd be interested in seeing your recipe. Unfortunately haven't had West 12 yet. I have had Rochefort 6 and 10. 10 is one of the best beers i've ever experienced. I'm waiting till i can somehow get a taste of a westy. We never got a chance to brew this so .

Old 09-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYetiBrew
Yeah i saw that thread, it made me so jealous. I am actually suprised someone responded to this so long after my brewing partner posted it. We actually went to AG so i'd be interested in seeing your recipe. Unfortunately haven't had West 12 yet. I have had Rochefort 6 and 10. 10 is one of the best beers i've ever experienced. I'm waiting till i can somehow get a taste of a westy. We never got a chance to brew this so .
That's funny, I never looked at the date of the orignal post, guess 'ericd' revived it. Just saw it as new post today and thought I'd chime in. Its definitely worth trying at least once, like I said, but at ~$100 bucks a sixer, a little pricey. I'd go in w/2 other guys, $33 bucks for two is worthwhile. Its just hard to justify $100 when you can make sooo much homebrew for that price.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

My only question is why the maltodextrin?
Belgian Trappist styles usually finish fairly dry and with a beer that big you are going to have trouble getting it dry any ways. Malto adds unfermentable sugars and body to the beer. That souldn't be a problem given your starting gravity. Maybe some dextrose is what you meant to add?

Craig

Old 09-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
My only question is why the maltodextrin?
Belgian Trappist styles usually finish fairly dry and with a beer that big you are going to have trouble getting it dry any ways. Malto adds unfermentable sugars and body to the beer. That souldn't be a problem given your starting gravity. Maybe some dextrose is what you meant to add?

Craig
I have no idea... Like i said my brewing partner posted this so i didn't see it before he added it... It's possible he wanted it a little sweet but like you said their dry not sweet. It's possible he was looking at different recipes and that slipped in there... He could have meant Dextrine Malt for body, but that small amount would do very little... Plus Belgian Candi sugar adds a fair amount of body (so i've heard). Your guess is as good as mine...

I'm definitely wanting to do a quad or just a dub but i'm kind of short on brew cash right now lol...

Land, you're right that is a lot of homebrew but i think i'd still pay for the whole 6 if i could just find it someone that could get it...

I've also had Duvel, Chimay, and Orval. I liked the Orval and Duvel but the Chimay (blue) tasted a bit too much like raisins or dates for me. For the price i'd rather buy more Rochefort 10 rather than Chimay Blue

Old 09-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I dunno if I can agree with you on that. I've had both and the Rochefort is my favorite of the two. The westy is damn good, but something about the rochefort just takes to my tastebuds better. To each his own, thouhg

Quick Reply