Belgian Pale Ale (Recipe Check)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimpdx

Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Planning to brew this on Sunday. This is part of my series of beers based on Lord of the Rings (Rivendell Pale Ale). Any suggestions for different yeast (not sure what Wyeast Private Collection options may be available right now) or other adjuncts? Also wondering if anyone suggests a more interesting hop than Kent Goldings. I don't see Candi Sugar being used in any BPA recipes, just the higher gravity Trippels and Blondes.

Style: Belgian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.76 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.9 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.4 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 4 21.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 5 1.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) [12 Yeast 6 -

Mash Schedule: 1- Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.88 qt of water at 162.4 F 152.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Error: Infusion temperature above boili 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.47 gal water at 168.0 F

5517-4959.jpg

If I'm thinking of an Elfin brew (been a while since I read the books, Rivendale was an Elf village, right?), I'd use a Wit yeast. White Labs had a platinum strain out this summer if your keen on special strains. Put a fair share of wheat in that grist then. As for a hop, I'd keep the IBUs moderate them burst it with Nelson Sauvin. Or another route would be spicier hops like Pacific Jade.

I had a White IPA at a local brewpub which used WLP400 and was excellent. I forget their hopbill, but it was more traditional American NW citrus and pine hops.

I just brewed something with a similar grain bill to yours but a little lower OG of 1.053 and it came out great: Belgian pilsner base with 5% caravienne, 5% belgian biscuit, and a few ounces of leftover Munich thrown in, then hopped with Styrian bobek as that is what the LHBS carries. I used wyeast 3787 which I have come to prefer over 3522. Even fermenting on the lower end I seem to get more banana and bubblegum from 3522 than I care for. With the 3787 it seems to be more of a pear/apple fruitiness and balanced with a slight spice.

edit: BTW - love the series idea, Gandalf the Wit and Saruman Saison especially (-:

Thanks all. @Chickypad you can see all the LOTR labels here. They are all belgian style, almost like a geek beer beginner's guide to belgians. I bottled the Goldberry Blonde last fall and it is quite tart, hoping it mellows in the bottle this year. The Bilbo Sour Brown and Gollum Geuze are both in secondary now going on 9 months.

@Bottlebomber - JRR Tolkein. The artwork comes from a series of LOTR calendars in the late 70s by the Hillebrand brothers (link). Goldberry particularly is a character not found in the movies, only the books. She was Tom Bombadil's wife.

@Quaker - I am also brewing "Gandalf the Wit" so I will save your suggestions for that brew, probably next weekend. Good call on the 3787 and spicier hops, I will work that in. I am trying to use 6 different Belgian yeasts with the six beers.

Thanks all. @Chickypad you can see all the LOTR labels here. They are all belgian style, almost like a geek beer beginner's guide to belgians. I bottled the Goldberry Blonde last fall and it is quite tart, hoping it mellows in the bottle this year. The Bilbo Sour Brown and Gollum Geuze are both in secondary now going on 9 months.

Very nice! Maybe a beginner's guide to drinking Belgians, but not to brewing with a gueuze in there. :mug:

Maybe some day I'll have the patience.

Back