Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian IPA(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
dnelson1025
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm going to do the tripel and might make some of my own light invert sugar instead of the turbinado. I've heard the same thing about the yeast, but I think I'm only at about 15% of fermentables from the sugar.

I'm brewing next Saturday; I'll be able to see how it turns out in a month and a half or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Good luck! I'll be brewing a belgian IPA next Sunday for a 3rd of July party. Can't wait to try out the pound of citra I just bought...

Old 05-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
dnelson1025
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok I've been doing some reading and am wondering if I have to add fresh yeast to the bottling bucket when I'm ready to bottle. Or will my yeast from primary fermentation work fine? And will I have to make a second starter for bottling? Thanks for everyone's help so far!

And a pound of that'll hop a lot of beer; sounds awesome!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #14
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnelson1025 View Post
Ok I've been doing some reading and am wondering if I have to add fresh yeast to the bottling bucket when I'm ready to bottle. Or will my yeast from primary fermentation work fine? And will I have to make a second starter for bottling? Thanks for everyone's help so far!
I would ferment in the primary for 7-10 days, or until the airlock is only bubbling once every 2 minutes. Then, transfer to a secondary carboy and let it sit for about 2-3 weeks.

You should still have plenty of yeast in solution for bottling, but if you are worried about it you could always scrape your racking cane along the bottom of the carboy when transferring to a bottling bucket to grab a little of the yeast.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #15
dnelson1025
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help! I brewed today and the yeast started working in about an hour after I pitched. Having that big starter really helped!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
drew7777
Recipes 

@dnelson1025 - Can you let me know how this turned out? I'm planning on doing a Belgian IPA this weekend (tripel). I'd like to do something similar to Green Flash's Le Freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnelson1025 View Post
Thanks for the help! I brewed today and the yeast started working in about an hour after I pitched. Having that big starter really helped!

Quick Reply