Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian IPA - First use of Legacy hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
hotspurdotus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
yeah, that's essentially it. i read the article and i can't remember the exact details, but the general idea is that a really strong belgian yeast character clashes with the hops, so you want to subdue it. that is achieved by giving the neutral ale yeast a head-start.
That was my suspicion, but didn't want to ask a leading question.

I've made a modified version of the Hop Chewey, which has an IBU level of 60, and while it's an interesting beer there is definite competition between the yeast and hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Bassaholic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a Belgian IPA a little over a month ago and I only used one yeast, Wyeast 3522 Ardennes, and American hops Amarillo, Centennial and Chinook. I just tasted a bottle the other night and it was delicious! I loved the flavor interactions of the yeast and the hops. This particular yeast strain has some more spicy and ester flavors and not so many fruity notes. I suppose I could see the appeal of using a cleaner yeast first, but for my tastes I really enjoyed this combination. I'm gonna let my bottles condition for a while and see how the flavor matures.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Very excited to make this beer. What all did you mash at? High side or low side? I usually mash on the lower side for IPA's, but I am not an expert on Belgian's. This is onlym y second Belgian and still haven't bottled my first! It is still aging, at 3 months now. Going to bottle soon.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 273

general rule with belgians is mash low. belgians are typically very well attenuated, and IPA tastes best when not sweet, put the two together and i think you'd want it really dry all around. you'll already have belgian flavors and a ton of hops in there, i doubt you'll want sweetness on top of it all. all the BIPAs i've tasted have been really dry.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2187 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
yeah, that's essentially it. i read the article and i can't remember the exact details, but the general idea is that a really strong belgian yeast character clashes with the hops, so you want to subdue it. that is achieved by giving the neutral ale yeast a head-start.

i gotta agree with that idea. i've had full-on belgians that happened to be hopped like a west coast IPA. doesn't work for me. all those esters and phenols just don't play nice with the hop flavors and aromas.
Drinking a pretty hoppy beer fermented with wlp530 as I type. No reason to use the SAF-05, IMO. Just keep the fermentation temp on the lower end and under control for a few days before you ramp it up to finish. Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Wild is one to look for if you want to try a hoppy beer brewed with 530/3787.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Chris7687
Recipes 

No fermentation temp control yet, luckily we just got a "cold front" here in florida so the high is 57* for the next two days. Hoping that will keep it at ideal temp for fermention.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2187 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
No fermentation temp control yet, luckily we just got a "cold front" here in florida so the high is 57* for the next two days. Hoping that will keep it at ideal temp for fermention.
Swamp bath will do the trick. All you need is a towel and something that will hold your carboy and some water.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
Chris7687
Recipes 

Hey guys, just got done brewing.... didn't get a good effic. on this. Finished with to much wort. 6.2 gallons at 1.066 for only 67.1% effic. Lowest I've had in a while. Don't think I was able to start with or maintain a good mash temp. Better luck next time on that. Pitched some US-05 just now, cold crashing the Belgian starter, and will pitch the starter tomorrow. I will let you all know how it turns out in the end though.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Did you have bad efficiency, too much volume, or both? If you ended up with more volume, your eff might have been ok.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #20
Chris7687
Recipes 

Both - Even with the extra wort I ended up with, my effic still came out to 67.1%.

Quick Reply