Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian Golden recipe help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
KevinP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Belgian Golden recipe help

I would appreciate some discussion on what I should put into a Belgian Golden (as strong as possible) Ale. I would like to use only what I have on hand other than a trip to the grocery store for little things like orange zest, coriander, etc.
I can do a mini-mini mash with 2 pounds of grains
I can make a yeast starter

Here is a list of what I have in stock:
7 lbs pale LMS
2.5 lbs wheat DME
1 lb pilsner DME
2 lbs light Belgian candy
2 lbs corn sugar
1 lb Belgian pale malt
1 lb Belgian Aromatic malt
1 lb crystal 40
.5 lb chocolate malt
.5 lb roasted barly

2 oz hallertau
2 oz saaz
1 oz kent goldings
1 oz northern brewer

1 vial WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale yeast

Any help would be greatly apprciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
THart
Recipes 

Well, I'd say you could pass on the chocolate & roasted for a golden right? Depends on how big a fan of specialty grains you are & the partial mash but, besides the belgian pale, I'd think a half each of aromatic & crystal would be plenty. I don't think they're all that hoppy as a rule either so prbably something like te oz of Northern for the full boil, an oz of hallertau @ 45 of an hour boil for flavor & last minute saaz would do. In fact that may be a bit heavy, depending. I'm looking at recipies that put Westmalle at 26 IBU & Duvel at 31. I'd go ahead & use all the fermentables. Maybe they wouldn't usually have so much wheat but I'd use it.Very similar to one I brewed over the weekend actually. One recipe I'm useing for a guide is supposed to be a Duvel clone & it reserves a lb of the corn sugar for the secondary along with a touch of fruit, in this case pear.

Here's what I got: 9.3 lb gold lme, 1lb wheat dme, 1 lb candi sugar, 2.33 lb corn sugar, 1/2 lb vienna, 1/2 lb 10d crystal, 1/2 lb aromatic, 1 oz each: Challenger, Liberty & Saaz hops & Wyeast 1388 Belgian strong. slainte!

The piano has been drinking
my necktie is asleep
The combo's gone back to New York and
the jukebox has to take a leak
Tom Waits

Old 06-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Duvel is something like 80% pils and 20% light sugar--nothing else. No specialty malts (or spices) are needed. They will give it too high of FG. I don't know what your making but it is not a BGS. Just use all of your extract, mash your Belgian pale malt and add 20% sugar. Table sugar is fine. I go a little overboard on the hop flavor but that's just me. Love that saaz at 20 min.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The grist for a Belgian Golden Strong is not a place for too complexity; you really want the yeast character to shine through.

Vinnie Cilurzo's recipe for a BGSA is slightly more complex than Duvel's Pils/sucrose mix, adding in a small proportion of wheat and Munich.

I'd aim for simplicity in the hopping, using something slightly earthy like Styrian Goldings or a hop of Noble lineage to get you to 30ish IBUs.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #5
THart
Recipes 

'strue! Not at all ar about beer style just so I like it. By that definition poor kevin would be left with a little malt & a bunch of sugar to make his beer but I think he'll do all right & get close enough to what he has in mind to forget the rest after a few goblets. Keeping in mind he's trying to work with what he has on hand. Nothing wrong with that.

my necktie is asleep
Tom Waits

Old 06-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Personally, I'd start by reading the style guidelines to get an idea of the traditional flavors, aromas and ingredients in a Belgian Golden Strong Ale:

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 18

I agree with Conroe. A Belgian Golden Strong is usually all Pilsner malt and sugar (cane sugar, beet sugar or corn sugar). Ideally, you would want Pilsner LME or extra light DME to keep the color as light as possible. In this case though, I think you could use all 7 lbs of the pale LME and then add 2 or 2.5 lbs of plain table sugar. That would get you to 1.067 (2 lbs sugar) or 1.072 (2.5 lbs sugar). The sugar will help dry it out, which is really important in a Belgian Golden Strong.

For hops, I'd go with 1.5 oz of your Hallertau at 60 minutes and the remaining .5 oz at 5 minutes to give a little bit of aroma and flavor. You don't want a lot of hop flavor in a Belgian Golden Strong if you're going for something that's close to the guidelines.

Make sure to make a big starter for your yeast. You might need to buy some DME to do it, but one vial won't get the beer where you need it to finish. Mr Malty's yeast pitching calculator will give you a good idea of how large a starter you will need.

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

I've done something similar, but all-grain, and it was definitely a hit.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
KevinP
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just posted everything that I have at my house. Clearly I wont be using the chocolate or roasted stuff. Probably should not have listed those....

Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

If you are going to use a large percentage of extract in a golden, then you are going to have trouble getting the final gravity down past 1.020 or so. To get it down to the proper 1.006 range for the style, you need to get some base malt (prob pilsner or 6-row) and do the following in a partial mash:

- re-mash your extract with some base malt (3-4 lbs)
- add some beano to the mash (4-5 crushed tablets)
- mash at 148F for 90 min

That will make a very fermentable mash. Otherwise, your extract Golden will be too sweet.

Jamil has a fantastic show on the BSG style (brewing network). Look that up if you get a chance.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 06-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
THart
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdburg View Post
I agree with Conroe. A Belgian Golden Strong is usually all Pilsner malt and sugar (cane sugar, beet sugar or corn sugar). .
Stay away from the candi sugar? I don't know, I like using it but it'll keep for another bach I suppose . I think you're right about the hops, no doubt the Hallertau would do the trick although I know when push came to shove the saaz would end up in the finish. I'm just that way about saaz. I also like the wheat malt & I think you're right about the starter. I don't see any harm in using some of the wheat dme to make a starter at the very least. No trips to the store, we're brewing with what we have, right?

my necktie is asleep
Tom Waits

Old 06-10-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
THart
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post