Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian Dubbel Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
shoreman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Get the D45 or D90 -it's $6 and it will make all the difference with color - I've tried brewing with specialty grains to get color but there's a reason that Belgian brewers use these sugars - it just works and doesn't add body.

I wouldn't bother with any other sugars like rock candy they sell unless you are just looking to thin out the body or boost fermentables

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
jdgapc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david00001 View Post
Hey jdgapc. I mentioned before that I try to control color and taste profile using malt rather than the traditional Candi sugar, while others are getting good results making their own Candi sugar. I wanted to add that new world Belgian producers (like ommegang for example) primary use dextrose for fermentable adjuncts. And if dextrose is good enough for ommegang....
well if its good enogh for ommegang then its good enough for my basement brewery...next batch is going to be a hennepin clone now, thanks for the tip on the dextrose!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
jdgapc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well i check on my brew and am concerned, the blowoff tube goes into an empty jug filled halfway with water and the jug is giving off this odor of bananas and permanent marker (like the sharpie kind) some say thi sis the phonlic smell, some say contamination, any advice on what this could be caused from?

Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
jdgapc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgapc View Post
well i check on my brew and am concerned, the blowoff tube goes into an empty jug filled halfway with water and the jug is giving off this odor of bananas and permanent marker (like the sharpie kind) some say thi sis the phonlic smell, some say contamination, any advice on what this could be caused from?
i take it back, the blow off smells like bananas and marker, the beer in the carboy smells like belgian delight

Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
jdgapc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just sampled my first bottle, pretty decent stuff, has some alcohol heat to it but nothing a few months of aging won't take care of!

Quick Reply