Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian Candi Syrup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default Belgian Candi Syrup

Has anyone tried this?
Steve at my LHBS says it is new to the US and they have just recently started selling it. I tried a sample and it is quite interesting. My first impression was of caramel but as I tasted more I was getting licorice tones. I think this syrup will add a lot of complexity to beers. From what I've read and been told, It could be the secret ingredient to making great Belgian style beers. It is however fairly expensive at $7.95 for a 16 oz bottle.
Steve talked me into replacing the molases in my porter that I'm brewing tomorrow with the syrup.

Here are some links to more information on Belgian Candi Syrup. It sounds like the syrup could become very popular to home brewers.

http://www.brewlikeamonk.com/2006/04...le-in-america/

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=7151

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=6788

Cheers,
Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

While playing around with BeerSmith, I saw it listed as an extract used for Belgians, and I had it in my recipe for the trappist ale I just brewed. But when I asked about it at the LHBS, she said they didn't have it. She offered to order some for me, but I chickened out. It does sound pretty good though, and when you use it, I'd love to hear about the results. I might even throw it in my next porter batch if it works out well for you.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 12-09-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
jager
Recipes 

I doubt thats what they are using as its expensive, unless the importer is jacking the price way up.

Dave

Old 12-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

That stuff is really easy and cheap to make at home. Don't buy it. Do a google search, and you will find a bunch of sites telling you how to make the candy as well as the syrup.

I've done it . . . very easy.

I think that I've even posted my recipe for it on this site along with directions, etc.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvolt
That stuff is really easy and cheap to make at home. Don't buy it. Do a google search, and you will find a bunch of sites telling you how to make the candy as well as the syrup.

I've done it . . . very easy.

I think that I've even posted my recipe for it on this site along with directions, etc.
I seriously doubt you could make this at home. This syrup is what's left over after Belgium Candi sugar is made. It contains the impurities that add to the unique flavors.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 12-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
I seriously doubt you could make this at home. This syrup is what's left over after Belgium Candi sugar is made. It contains the impurities that add to the unique flavors.
I can't vouch for accuracy or authenticity, but here's a link worth looking at...

http://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/candi_sugar.html

Old 12-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
I can't vouch for accuracy or authenticity, but here's a link worth looking at...

http://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/candi_sugar.html
That syrup is made with corn syrup. The one I'm talking about is the by product of turning sugar beets into candi sugar and is the flavorful stuff left behind.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 12-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds like clear or brown caramelized sugar syrup (boiling sugar syrup between 320F (bottom temp for clear) and 349F (top end for brown). The difference between caramelized sugar syrup and this Belgain Candi Syrup would be the flavors that the manufacturers use when making their Candi.

It would be tougher to make this than your own Candi. Once you get above 300F, all the water is gone and its tough to keep it from burning. But you could still pick it up at a baking supply shop.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
RichBrewer

Recipes 

I just listened to a podcast from the Brewers network where they tested different types of sugars in a Belgian beer. They made a batch and split it 6 ways. Each split batch got a different type of sugar in it. One of them got Belgian Candi syrup.
The 3 guys who tasted the beers all thought that the candi syrup gave the beers flavor that none of the others could. I don't think this syrup could be replicated at home.
They also tried one that had the stuff made with corn syrup and they all liked it but that particular beer finished 9 points higher than all the others.

Bottom line. All of the tasters said it is worth the $8.00 or so for the Belgian Candi Syrup.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
Has anyone tried this?
Steve at my LHBS says it is new to the US and they have just recently started selling it. I tried a sample and it is quite interesting. My first impression was of caramel but as I tasted more I was getting licorice tones. I think this syrup will add a lot of complexity to beers. From what I've read and been told, It could be the secret ingredient to making great Belgian style beers. It is however fairly expensive at $7.95 for a 16 oz bottle.
Steve talked me into replacing the molases in my porter that I'm brewing tomorrow with the syrup.

Here are some links to more information on Belgian Candi Syrup. It sounds like the syrup could become very popular to home brewers.

http://www.brewlikeamonk.com/2006/04...le-in-america/

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=7151

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=6788
I've got a bottle in inventory right now. Got some trappist yeast on the way. Now all's I need is a good recipe for a high-grav trappist (like Rochefort 12). Anyone?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply