Belgian Beer with T-58.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
... ain't gonna happen. I made a triple recipe and decided to try it out. It ended up tasting like an Imperial Hefe....

Want Belgian beer? Pony up the dough for real Belgian liquid yeast. :p

I'm sorry you messed up a batch with T-58. The only dry yeast I use is the S-05. I've used Nottingham and have been pleased with it, but I don't make too many English ales so I don't use it very often. In my opinion, the S-05 is similar enough to WLP 001 that I can't tell much of a difference. For any specialty beers or Belgians I ALWAYS go for a specific liquid yeast. The extra $5 is worth it knowing that you have an authentic yeast.

Well its not messed up... its still pretty tasty so I still made a good drinkable beer. Its just not what I really expected. I'll drink it just the same and use liquid yeast next time. I figured I would post up cause I really didn't see too much about it on here. There were mixed reviews. It definitely is not belgian... its perfect for a german wheat beer.

I've only used the T-58 for a Hefeweizen so far and it turned out fantastic but I was going for a hefe in this case.
I would definitely use it again for a wheat beer.
Nice mix of banana/clove/bubblegum and some spicy notes too (slightly peppery)

Tried this in a saison just for fun. I split up a 10 gallon batch, and put Whitelabs Saison yeast blend in one, and dry T-58 in the other.

The T-58 is much faster and attenuated from 1.065 to 1.008 in a week! Smells and tastes like peppery paint-thinner, although it wasn't fermented at high temperatures at all.

The whitelabs-saison-yeast is taking things way more slowly as would be expected with this strain, but I am already guessing the results will be way better.

In any case, I will not use T-58 again.

Well its not messed up... its still pretty tasty so I still made a good drinkable beer. Its just not what I really expected. I'll drink it just the same and use liquid yeast next time. I figured I would post up cause I really didn't see too much about it on here. There were mixed reviews. It definitely is not belgian... its perfect for a german wheat beer.

Really? I don't see how it is anywhere close to a Wheat taste.

I brewed up a Belgian Dark Strong with it a few weeks ago. At first it had a very bland, dry taste. After about a month the belgian flavor is really starting to come out. Gives you that prunish, dubbel flavor you get from WLP-500.

Not a bad Belgian yeast for $2.50.

Now that being said, I would definitely use liquid over dry if I could.. but for a dry, T-58 aint bad.

The extra $5 is worth it knowing that you have an authentic yeast.

What do you mean by authentic? There are several Belgian breweries that use T-58. Most of the small ones don't have money for a lab, so their two options are get yeast from a bigger brewery (which many have stopped allowing), or use dry yeast. It might just take some playing with the pitching rate, pitching temperature, oxygen levels, nutrient levels, fermentation temperature etc... to get it to preform the way you want it to.

A few weeks ago I was up in Boston and got to talk to the brewers at Pretty Things and Mayflower, I got to try a beer from each that was made with T-58, and both were very tasty.

What do you mean by authentic? There are several Belgian breweries that use T-58. Most of the small ones don't have money for a lab, so their two options are get yeast from a bigger brewery (which many have stopped allowing), or use dry yeast. It might just take some playing with the pitching rate, pitching temperature, oxygen levels, nutrient levels, fermentation temperature etc... to get it to preform the way you want it to.

A few weeks ago I was up in Boston and got to talk to the brewers at Pretty Things and Mayflower, I got to try a beer from each that was made with T-58, and both were very tasty.

I don't think anyone is saying T-58 makes bad beer, it's just not a Trappist/Abbey strain.

Have you ever used 3787? It's a freakin monster.

I like 3787, it does do a great job. My point was just that there are various professional breweries making terrific Belgian (style) beers with T-58 (Struise’s Pannepot, Pretty Thing’s Jack d’Or Saison, and Mayflower’s Summer Rye).

I like 3787, it does do a great job. My point was just that there are various professional breweries making terrific Belgian (style) beers with T-58 (Struise’s Pannepot, Pretty Thing’s Jack d’Or Saison, and Mayflower’s Summer Rye).

Interesting, I tried the Mayflower Summer Rye and it reminded me of a geuze. If you like that real tart taste, or something quite different, I'd recommend it.

Back