Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgain candi sugar differences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
DirtyPolock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Belgain candi sugar differences

So I am working on creating a Belgian dubbel recipe and to help add to the taste I will use a belgain candi sugar. The only thing is I am trying to find out the differences between all the formulations. Here is what I found out so far.

In general all of the different products are made from sugar beets. The different colors are due to the different cooking temperature of the sugar beets. The different colors would be used in different beers. For example the clear/light/blond sugars would be for the lighter beers as the SRM is typically <= 5. The brown/amber colors have SRM's in the 40 range, and the darks have SRMs in the 80+ range. As for the different forms....

Candi Sugar - essentially rock candy, adds slight flavoring, but mainly used to help raise the alcohol content without adding much sweetness due to the high fermentability

Candi syrup - this is the "left overs" of the candi sugar making process and it adds a much more complex flavoring to the brew and his helps to add some residual sweetness to beers

Soft candi sugar - centrifuged candi syrup to remove tiny crystals left over in the syrup, potentially easier to handle versus the syrup

This is what I have so far. Can anybody else add information between the differences especially between the different formulations? I am trying to figure out when it would be beneficial to try the syrup versus the soft sugar. Also if anybody knows the difference between the dark candi sugar and the Dark 2 (D2) candi syrup. I am hoping somebody with some experience in brewing with any of the above products can add their 2 cents with the difference in taste.

Primary #1: Cascade/Willamette APA
Primary #2: Air
Secondary #1: Belgian Dark Strong

Tap #1: Dubbel Red Balls
Tap #2: Honey Brown Ale
Tap #3: BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA
Tap #4: Penn Dark Clone 1.0

Conditioning in Kegs: Pollinated porter

Bottled/Drinking: AHS Old School IPA; Apfelwein 1/22/10

Not just any keezer build...It's my keezer build | Don't fear the StarSan Foam, a math explanation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

In my experience clear candi sugar and table sugar are identical, flavor-wise.

Have you read Brew Like a Monk? Really good read if you're interested in Trappist beers.

When Belgians refer to "candi sugar" they are actually talking about caramel syrup. Westmalle and Orval specify that type of sugar. Rochefort uses plain cane sugar and cassonade brune, which would probably be the soft candi sugar.

In BLAM he says that while the darkest candi rocks "provide a rummy unrefined character, they don't come close to replicating the caramelized flavors found in darker Belgian ales."

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 09-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post

Have you read Brew Like a Monk? Really good read if you're interested in Trappist beers.
Seconded!

Quick Reply