*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Beers are too sweet. Ideas? Yeasts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well...you may think so, but that is the way you figure the recipes, even brewing software uses something similar realising a standard yeast attenuation usually around 75% though in software you can change it.
That's exactly it. There's an assumption about the attenuation being made that can be dramatically different depending on the style. So, why not just fix the chart to account for this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
OdinsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OH man! I've looked for software before, that's 1. free 2. works on a Mac. This looks awesome! A whole new level for me, coming up.

Thanks for the link!

Brewing software is a must though...if you dont have one you can use the free online Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator program.[/QUOTE]

ODIN'S BREW

Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
TSo, why not just fix the chart to account for this?

Go AHEAD!!!!

If you figure out the numbers make your own and that will be the standard chart used by brewers rather than this one

(evidently it works for the majority of brewers who know about it.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4507 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Back on topic here, I think that almost 2 pounds of crystal malt is a big part of the reason it's too sweet. I'd lose the carapils for sure. Why both the flaked oats and flaked wheat? If it's for head retention, you've already got the carapils in there. That's a confusing recipe for me.

If you're attempting an IPA, then I'd also get rid of the flaked oats and wheat. If you don't use the carapils, and you're still really concerned about head retention, you could use 1/2 pound of flaked wheat. But I would simplify the grain bill, and just use 2-row and up to 1 pound of mixed crystal malts.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinsBrew View Post
OH man! I've looked for software before, that's 1. free 2. works on a Mac. This looks awesome! A whole new level for me, coming up.

Thanks for the link!

Brewing software is a must though...if you dont have one you can use the free online Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator program.
[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, back when I started out, and before I spent the money on beersmith (after the trial period) I cut my teeth with it. And that was before you had the ability to save your recipes on the "hopville" side of it..In fact quite a few of my recipes are saved over there...and also one of our member's Conroe, has a bunch of his over there too...I was one of the first to upload any on hopville when that became available.

I learned so much about recipe creation, and how each ingredient affect the recipe by typing in the recipes from the kits I was using, from magazines and books, and from here into it, then altering the recipe..upping or decreasing the amount, changing the hop schedule or the amount of hop, etc, and watching how the numbers changed, in terms of gravity, color, ibus....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Back on topic here, I think that almost 2 pounds of crystal malt is a big part of the reason it's too sweet.
It also explains why the FG is going to stay above 1.020. FG is not just reached by the pitch count and health of your yeast: it's also dependant on how many fermentable sugars are present in your wort solution. Crystal malts add sweetness to finished beer because they have a lot of gelatinized, unfermentable sugars (and therefore are not going to attenuate out). When you try more recipes, you do find how much and what kind of flavors specialty grains impart to your beer. One thing you might want to try to get some more idea about juggling specialty grains is start simple. Try out a pale ale or California Common recipe that just uses your base malt (or extract) plus one type of Crystal malt (up to 1 lb max). Then try a recipe that adds aromatic malt, acidulated malt, or roasted barley (to get into stouts or porters). Upping hops is one way to try to hide sweetness, to an extent (it's something to try with something you've already brewed). With the recipe itself, it's much easier to get your grainbill to a base that your own taste palette enjoys
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 08-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
sharpstick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if it's a stuck fermentation and you have an attenuation problem:
1. if you are using distilled, RO or otherwise mineral poor water, you can add yeast food or use just a carbon filter or add whatever nutrients you need.
2. beano can convert unfermentables, but i've heard that beano can go too far.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Just to jump on...

If you just steep your flaked oats and wheat you'll not be converting them at all. You may get "some" body from the flaked product but mostly you'll pick up a nice starch haze.

Flaked grains need to be mashed with a base malt to be converted.

Quick Reply