Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Beer w/Oregon Fruit Puree

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
veggiess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer w/Oregon Fruit Puree

I am going to make a lager with a can of the oregon fruit puree, which does have some sugar in it (obviously). Should I decrease the amount of dextrose/brewing sugar I add to my brew?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Only if you want to maintain the same ABV. Otherwise figure about 35% by weight is fermentables.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
mbreen01
Recipes 

This is kinda a side step, but when do you add the puree? I've heard that you don't want to boil fruit b/c of the pectin; so the recommendation that I've seen is to cool wort down to 150 deg after boiling and add fruit. Then just keep at 150* for around 15 minutes then cool and pitch yeast. Does it make a difference with the canned fruit (vs. fresh fruit)? Is canned fruit pasteurized?

Marc.

On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

Old 06-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreen01
This is kinda a side step, but when do you add the puree? I've heard that you don't want to boil fruit b/c of the pectin; so the recommendation that I've seen is to cool wort down to 150 deg after boiling and add fruit. Then just keep at 150* for around 15 minutes then cool and pitch yeast. Does it make a difference with the canned fruit (vs. fresh fruit)? Is canned fruit pasteurized?
Yes--you can add the Oregon puree after cooling, or people often add it straight from the can into the secondary.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Canned fruits are pasteurized, fresh fruits aren't. I use 160F for 15 minutes with fresh berries.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
jldesign
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've used oregon in the past for a blueberry bock (whoooooa good stuff) and others

the stuff is clean out of the can and will ferment. I added it to the secondary so watch for massive secondary fermentation sometimes.

NOTE: take the label off the can, wash off can, soak can in favorite sanitizer, sanitize can opener, open can and dump - just make sure to use good sanitation when using like this.

no need to boil at all - probably dump into at flame out but you'll loose some flavor.

busy busy busy

Old 06-22-2006, 05:59 AM   #7
veggiess
Recipes 

Thanks for the info-I probably won't change anything because a slightly higher ABV is not a problem. The puree comes sterilized and it's seedless, so I think I'll add it to the primary once it's cooled. They also say that the fruit flavor mellows with time, so if it's too strong at first it won't stay that way.

Quick Reply