Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Beer Styles by Hop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Gammon N Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Beer Styles by Hop?

Anybody know of a resource that will suggest a style of beer that can be brewed according to the hop you have on hand?

I have a bunch of Fuggle. And I will use some of it to brew a brown ale. But I also would like to brew another style as well.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon N Beer View Post
Anybody know of a resource that will suggest a style of beer that can be brewed according to the hop you have on hand?

I have a bunch of Fuggle. And I will use some of it to brew a brown ale. But I also would like to brew another style as well.

Thanks
There are no hard fast rules, however Fuggle is an English hop and so would be appropriate in just about any English style. Might be a decent choice for some Belgian styles as well. Doesn't really have the punch for most American styles and would not normally be used in German styles.

Craig

Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Brew your own's chart on hops and styles is probably close to what you are looking for:

http://byo.com/resources/hops

It's harder to use than the old chart they had, but you can flip through styles until you see the hops you have available.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 12-12-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply