Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Beer Kits vs. "your own recipe"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #11
NUCC98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richanne
That would be a typical upgrade price for liquid yeast, maybe a dollar less than that. Sounds like you got a good deal that day.

We won't be participating in this forum anymore. Best of luck to you. Advise you check out www.howtobrew.com for lots of good free information on homebrewing.

Cheers!
That really is a great website that, in my case, gets read many times. Each time I read it, make another batch, read some posts here, go back and visit the site again...it makes more sense every time. Another great site to check out is http://hbd.org/recipator/ ....it not only has a recipe database, but the actual recipator is perfect for crafting your own recipes. I started out with kits, and it was perfect for a newbie, because they're almost foolproof. My 3rd batch was my first non-kit brew, and it came out pretty good. I'm going back to kits for a couple batches just to get a taste for what the different styles, grains, and malts will give you...then on to the "fancy" stuff like adding different flavors and such...

Desert...I'm interesting in knowing how that Nut Briwn Ale comes out, because I almost picked that kit up.....went with a California Common instead....unfortunately, that one won't get brewed for a while, I think...broke my elbow a week ago, so lifting brewpots is not in my future.....DOH!!!

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #12
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

richanne, if you read this, I hope you're not leaving because of Janx. Everyone's got their point of view, and some think their's is the only way. How about you guys just stop responding to each other's posts....or do it in a pleasant, "I'd have to disagree" sort of way? It'd be a shame to lose a member to petty bickering...I think you both have valuable information to give...even if it may differ. And having a homebrew store owner around is a great thing. Agree to disagree, but please don't stay away...(nice going Janx.)

Old 01-17-2005, 05:36 PM   #13
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Ouch!

Will do on the nut brown. My wife and I both like Newcastle and it was their "clone" to it. I did notice that this batch started fermenting 4h into it and went nuts (no pun intended) for about 24h then has slowed down quite a bit. Quite a bit different than my 1st batch. I'd expect perhaps it was the liquid yeast and a bit warmer (76) than my 1st batch (70).

I quickly scanned http://www.howtobrew.com/ and interesting enough while reading some of the fermenting sections that a fast ferment doesn't necessarily mean a good ferment. I bookmarked this site for sure.

Jeff.

(Editorial note: The owner I was referring to did not work at coors; it was some AZ brewery... FWIW)

Old 01-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #14
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Ouch!

Will do on the nut brown. My wife and I both like Newcastle and it was their "clone" to it. I did notice that this batch started fermenting 4h into it and went nuts (no pun intended) for about 24h then has slowed down quite a bit. Quite a bit different than my 1st batch. I'd expect perhaps it was the liquid yeast and a bit warmer (76) than my 1st batch (70).
That sounds awesome! I love Newcastle.......Sam Smith has a great Nut Brown Ale too...this kit might actually be exactly what I was looking for then...I want to brew a Nut Brown, with a hint of vanilla to it. I doubt it'd be the first time anyone attempted it, but I haven't found a recipe for it anywhere online...

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 01-17-2005, 06:10 PM   #15
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

As mentioned I got this kit from my local brewing store (www.brewyourownbrew.com). They also have an online store front. The one I got was
San Pedro Nut Brown Ale

We got 3+ weeks before I get a taste though...

Quick Reply