Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Beer Gelatin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
Shockerengr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
Bach2050, thanks for your .02. I was wondering specifically if gelatin would affect the taste of the beer. Some people say it does, others say it doesn't. If you come by here again, I'd like to know what you finally concluded.
I occasionally use gelatin, and for more reasons that just clarity. Gelatin will in general always affect the flavor of the beer...but it's not because you're adding something to the beer...it's what get's taken out.

Much like fine filtering, gelatin will help to take out the larger particles in the beer...and they affect the flavor. Some of the common things that will drop out are yeast, proteins, and some of the hop compounds. All these items have a flavor impact on beer, and their absence is noticeable too.

My most common use of gelatin is to help drop the yeast from suspension when I don't want the flavor that yeast add (or to wait for it to completly drop in the keg) After using it, I tend to find the beer has a crisper, cleaner, slightly maltier flavor. Crisper and cleaner because there is less umami flavor from the yeast to muddie things up, and maltier because of the affect on the hop flavor aroma.

I haven't tried it yet (don't have the filter) but I would expect similar results to using a .5 micron filter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #22
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Once again apologies for bumping an old thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on using gelatin in beers that are already lagering? I have a Kolsch that's been at 40 degrees for 3-4 days now and It's developed some chill haze. Of course Kolsch is supposed to be a clear style, so I was thinking of using gelatin, does anyone see any issues with using it in beer that's already cold?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #23
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz
Once again apologies for bumping an old thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on using gelatin in beers that are already lagering? I have a Kolsch that's been at 40 degrees for 3-4 days now and It's developed some chill haze. Of course Kolsch is supposed to be a clear style, so I was thinking of using gelatin, does anyone see any issues with using it in beer that's already cold?
My understanding is that gelatin ONLY works if the beer is cold. Go for it!

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
Adding gelatin to a beer that is significantly colder than room temperature will cause the gelatin to immediately coagulate and fall to the bottom. Gelatin should be added to beer before it is chilled, and allowed to mix thoroughly. Then it can rest at that temp, or be chilled. I prefer to let the beer rest at fermentation temps to allow the protein to bind with the gelatin before the gelatin wants to "gel" and drop to the bottom.
pjj2ba Likes This 
Old 07-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #25
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Adding gelatin to a beer that is significantly colder than room temperature will cause the gelatin to immediately coagulate and fall to the bottom. Gelatin should be added to beer before it is chilled, and allowed to mix thoroughly. Then it can rest at that temp, or be chilled. I prefer to let the beer rest at fermentation temps to allow the protein to bind with the gelatin before the gelatin wants to "gel" and drop to the bottom.
I stand corrected! Thanks for the tip BierMuncher!

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Will I get flogged and banned for disagreeing with BierMuncher?

I've only added gelatin to beer that was cold (because lagering didn't clear it up) and it seemed to work just fine - it was carbed too. I pulled the keg out of the fridge, added the hot gelatin to the cold beer, and replaced the keg. Waited a day or two again, and after the first pint of cloudiness, I got nice clear beer. I've only done this twice, so take it for what it's worth.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

And since the beer is already lagered, would it cause any weird off favors if I let it warm up to room temp again to add gelatin? No issues with warming beer again once it's been chilled, right?

And should I rack to secondary to use the gelatin, or can I just dump it in right on top of the trub and yeast cake of primary?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #28
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
And since the beer is already lagered, would it cause any weird off favors if I let it warm up to room temp again to add gelatin? No issues with warming beer again once it's been chilled, right?

And should I rack to secondary to use the gelatin, or can I just dump it in right on top of the trub and yeast cake of primary?
I don't think it would cause any off flavors, but I think if you let it warm, you may negate the benefits of lagering. I've wondered if you let a lager warm up, the stuff that fell out during lagering (like chill haze, etc.) if it would go back in solution when you warm it back up. Now, if you're needing to add gelatin, obviously the lager phase didn't do what you needed it to do completely anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Are you kegging or bottling? (not that it matters tremendously). Figure out what you think will work best for you and your equipment. If you're already lagering, I would think you'd already be off the primary yeast cake. Were it me, I'd want to add gelatin into a fairly clean and sediment free beer, so I'd probably rack.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is such a dumb question, but if I were to use gelatin in a warm corney keg for a few days then cold crash/carb/serve, what would be the consistency of the gelatin? Would it all just come out as liquid with the first pulled pint? Or would it solidify and stay at the bottom of the keg the entire time until the keg is kicked/cleaned?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For the record, gelatin will bloom at any temperature. It just blooms faster when it's warm.

I plan to use room temperature costco bottled water and a few hours on the stir plate next time.

Quick Reply