Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Becks clone recipe
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
fastrega
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Default Becks clone recipe

Can anyone post or send me recipe for becks clone for 5 gallon brew. Thanks

__________________
fastrega is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,350
Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Bremen Lager

Category Pilsner
Subcategory German Pilsner (Pils)
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 9.50 lbs.
Total Hops 2.3 oz.


8 lbs. German 2-row Pils
.5 lbs. German CaraFoam
1 lbs. Barley Flaked
.75 oz. Northern Brewer ( 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Hallertau Hersbruck ( 4.50 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.75 oz. Hallertau Hersbruck ( 4.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : WYeast 2042 Danish Lager

__________________
BigEd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
fastrega
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd
Bremen Lager

Category Pilsner
Subcategory German Pilsner (Pils)
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 9.50 lbs.
Total Hops 2.3 oz.

8 lbs. German 2-row Pils
.5 lbs. German CaraFoam
1 lbs. Barley Flaked
.75 oz. Northern Brewer ( 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Hallertau Hersbruck ( 4.50 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.75 oz. Hallertau Hersbruck ( 4.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : WYeast 2042 Danish Lager
Thank you
__________________
fastrega is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
k47k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 457
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

when fermentation is finished put your carboy out in the sun for an hour. or bottle in clear or green bottles and put them in the sun for an hour. you will get that signature beck skunk aroma.

__________________
k47k is offline
thegreatmaibockaddict Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
pherrman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Default

What temp for mash? 140F?

For how long? 60min?

Ferment for 10 days?

Thank you

__________________
pherrman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,350
Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherrman View Post
What temp for mash? 140F?

For how long? 60min?

Ferment for 10 days?

Thank you
I'd suggest a decoction mash, 20 min 128F, 60 min @ 148F and a 10 minute mashout @ 168F but if you're doing a single infusion try 60 min @ 148-150F. Ferment for as long as it takes, 10 days will probably do it for primary.
__________________
BigEd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,056
Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
I'd suggest a decoction mash, 20 min 128F, 60 min @ 148F and a 10 minute mashout @ 168F but if you're doing a single infusion try 60 min @ 148-150F. Ferment for as long as it takes, 10 days will probably do it for primary.
I don't think I've ever used Danish lager yeast. Does it throw lots of diacteyl? I wonder if it needs a diacetyl rest in general?

And then, I wonder why I never used it. I guess when I make lagers, I tend to target a Bavarian or Czech style, and so didn't think about Danish lager yeast for a pilsner style.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,350
Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I don't think I've ever used Danish lager yeast. Does it throw lots of diacteyl? I wonder if it needs a diacetyl rest in general?

And then, I wonder why I never used it. I guess when I make lagers, I tend to target a Bavarian or Czech style, and so didn't think about Danish lager yeast for a pilsner style.
The 2042 is an excellent GP lager yeast and IMO the closest strain you can find to what a northern German megabrewer like Beck's might use. It's the Carlsberg yeast and I don't think it gets nearly enough play. I use the southern German yeasts for festbiers, dunkel, Helles and anything Bavarian and one of the Urquell strains for Czech lagers but for standard type German pilsners or American style lagers the 2042 is hard to beat.

From Wyeast's product description:

This yeast is a good choice for Dortmund-style lagers. It will ferment crisp and dry with a soft, rounded profile that accentuates hop characteristics.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 46-56F, 8-13C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

Styles:
Classic American Pilsner
Dark American Lager
Dortmunder Export
Lite American Lager
Munich Helles
Premium American Lager
Standard American Lager
__________________
BigEd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,056
Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
The 2042 is an excellent GP lager yeast and IMO the closest strain you can find to what a northern German megabrewer like Beck's might use. It's the Carlsberg yeast and I don't think it gets nearly enough play.

From Wyeast's product description:

This yeast is a good choice for Dortmund-style lagers. It will ferment crisp and dry with a soft, rounded profile that accentuates hop characteristics.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 46-56F, 8-13C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

Styles:
Classic American Pilsner
Dark American Lager
Dortmunder Export
Lite American Lager
Munich Helles
Premium American Lager
Standard American Lager
Thanks for that! I'm tossing around a CAP idea, and this yeast strain was totally off my radar. Thank you for bringing it to my attention (even though it's totally off topic as not a Beck's clone at all!).
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 12:33 AM   #10
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,350
Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Thanks for that! I'm tossing around a CAP idea, and this yeast strain was totally off my radar. Thank you for bringing it to my attention (even though it's totally off topic as not a Beck's clone at all!).
It does a great job with a CAP. I think you'll like it.
__________________
BigEd is offline
Yooper Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
becks dark recipe, want to share jkellner29 Recipes/Ingredients 0 02-04-2012 12:00 AM
Becks or hieneken recipe bkov Recipes/Ingredients 1 12-01-2010 03:27 AM
Becks clone WBC All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 11-25-2009 09:31 PM
Becks Dark Omnihility Commercial Brew Discussion 0 11-24-2009 11:55 PM
looking for a Becks clone recipe bkov Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-24-2008 02:45 AM