The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Base malt experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #31
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Thanks for the update. It's great to be able to compare the pictures (for color) and the numbers & taste.

I'm kind of tempted to do this now, and then start blending finished products to find good combinations of base malts. That's going to have to wait until I get some serious free time, though.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have to admit that I am very surprised by the color of everything other than the Golden Promise, and maybe the Mild malt. I would not expect the organic 2-row or the Maris Otter to be that dark. Did you control/measure the mash pH? If the pH is too high, Maillard reactions will be increased and it can have a dramatic effect on the final color - a good write-up of this can be found on Kai Troester's site - http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...fusion_mashing (scroll down about 3/4 of the page)...

...photo showing the effects of pH on color (from above site)

Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #33
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did not measure pH on these small batches. However, I do use the brewing pH strips for my larger batches. Without acid malt I end up close to 6 with my fairly hard well water based on my notes from the first batch completed since repatriating. I've added acid malt to everything since. I had considered brewing another test set comparing my well water with a dilution of RO, bottled spring water, or other options with one of these malts. Your post motivates me to definitely do it.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #34
Crayfish
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for taking the time to do this and meticuluosly write up the results. This was an interesting read.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #35
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I have to admit that I am very surprised by the color of everything other than the Golden Promise, and maybe the Mild malt. I would not expect the organic 2-row or the Maris Otter to be that dark. Did you control/measure the mash pH? If the pH is too high, Maillard reactions will be increased and it can have a dramatic effect on the final color - a good write-up of this can be found on Kai Troester's site - http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...fusion_mashing (scroll down about 3/4 of the page)...

...photo showing the effects of pH on color (from above site)

Now that is learning something new today. The first all-grain beer I made I paid zero attention to water and just added that stupid 5.2 stuff. I've never been able to figure out why the beer turned out so dark. I think I know now.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Unearthly Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #36
Unearthly
Recipes 

Outstanding post! Very informative and an outstanding read! Thanks!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #37
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Now that is learning something new today. The first all-grain beer I made I paid zero attention to water and just added that stupid 5.2 stuff. I've never been able to figure out why the beer turned out so dark. I think I know now.
Many of my early beers were much darker than I had anticipated and I also think mash pH was the reason (though I don't actually know since I never took pH readings). Pretty astonishing difference once I started paying attention.

My Beer Cellar

Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #38
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Cool. What colour maris otter are you using? Nowadays you can get very low colour maris otter malts, which come out pretty much straw in a 1.055 OG ale. I think they are about 2-2.5L (3 EBC). Just had a local brewery do a session on Wednesday and they claimed it was superior to most alternatives, and the samples were definitively dry and malty. Good stuff.

http://hopcraftbrewing.blogspot.co.u...1_archive.html

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/maris...ale_152028.htm

Btw, I like the description of that mild malt, maybe you'd want to stick 20-40% in your base grain bill instead of any crystal!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #39
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I don't know the exact specs on the Maris Otter. It came from Northern Brewer Milwaukee.

I think I'll be doing a large batch of old ale or barley wine with the Ashburne Mild malt.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 09-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #40
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Cool experiment. Those are some high final gravities for Cali Ale yeast and just base malt. I would expect a gravity of less than 1.010 mashing at 152 with no specialty malts. My guess is you mashed closer to 162 if you later noticed that your thermometer was 10 degrees off. That probably contributed to the big difference in efficiency as well.

While a good experiment, I wouldn't totally dismiss any of them based on residual sweetness or how the hops came through. I would strictly go by the malt flavor you're looking for in your pale and india pale ales. Thanks for posting

Quick Reply