Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Base malt experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #21
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've been using the app on my iPod. The photos are on my phone. Just a pain and typo laden when trying to do a large post as you said.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Looking forward to the results, as you're able. No need to rush it, though.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Ashburne Mild Malt

Ashburne Mild Malt

Stats: pre-boil 1.041, OG 1.058, FG 1.018 (69%AA)

Notes prior to flame-out hop addition: nutty - walnut, sweet, burnt sugar, slight smokiness, bitterness harsh from mash hops

Fermentation: had a really thick, smooth trub/yeast cake in the bottom

Notes at bottling: malty, full aroma, nutty showing through the hops, but definite malt there

Bottled sample: dark, golden honey color, hazy. Hop aroma has faded relative to other samples, dirty/earthy undertone. Hops not as bright as resiny as other samples. Head was big but faded fast and didn't linger on the walls. medium body.

I would recommend this for a Scottish Ale, barley wine, or ...wait for it... Mild. It doesn't work for me with citrus & piney hops. It is definitely a fit as its labeled and would be best with the English hops or something in the Northern Brewer vein. It had the lowest efficiency and almost the lowest attenuation, so you'd have to keep that in mind when planning the recipe. Won't be a regular staple for me, but I could see using it for specific purposes as it was surely intended.

img-20130524-00181.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Breiss Organic 2-row

Breiss Organic 2-row

Stats: pre-boil 1.047, OG 1.065, FG 1.013 (80% AA)

Notes prior to flame-out addition: very light malt flavor, mash hops really come through, white bread flavor.

Fermentation: Had an odd chunky trub from the start, but relatively minimal amount. After fermentation, the cake was chucnky like an English yeast but quite loose.

Notes at bottling: sweet, malty aroma - actually with hops behind (one of the last samples bottled, so could be palette fatigue), no astringency, thinner body than others. Missing roundnessor fullness of hop flavor

Bottled sample: hazy, golden, thick dense head which lingered, sweet tropics aroma, candy sweet hop forward flavor, medium body (a bit heavier than the Mild), IPA like balance, no apparent malt flavor.

Obviously again a malt doing as advertised, simplistic 2-row. However, the trub characteristic turned me off. Not sure if that would be a sack to sack or crop variable or if something else played into it. Or if its a Breiss Organic specific trait. I wouldn't shoot it down due to a 1 off test, but a comparison of various 2-rows might be useful to someone who uses that as their standard base to see if there are differences other than simply flavor.

img-20130524-00180.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #25
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Global Kolsch Malt

Global Kolsch Malt

Stats: pre-boil 1.054, OG 1.080, FG 1.026 (67.5% AA)

Notes prior to flame-out addition: musty, malty aroma, little bit of foot odor (mash hops?), rich bready, notably more body (high OG)

Fermentation: relatively thin trub cake.

Notes at bottling: malty aroma, hops not noticeable, very full body (low attenuation), maltiness in flavor, slight astringency, bit of rubbery (?) character

Bottled sample: poor carb, quick dissipating large bubbled head, sickening sweet, suspect the carb tab never fermented, little reddish tint and hazy. Sweetness blasts the hops out. Some candy aroma.

I've sampled 3 of the 4 bottles of this. All lacked carbonation and were therefore sweet from the unfermented carb-tab. I didn't have this problem with any others and it was bottled on same day with same conditioning. The low attenuation also indicates a yeast issue.

The color here was the major shocker for me considering the label. On brew day, this one was actually one of my favorites, but went down hill from there. I might try it again in a pilsner, but applying a multi-step or decoction mash to improve attenuation... but more likely if I'm going to that energy, I'll go with a more confident malt. Northern Brewer Milwaukee gets good traffic, but I suspect this is a malt which sits around more than others, so perhaps age played into my results.

img-20130524-00183.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Simpson's Golden Promise

Simpson's Golden Promise

Stats: pre-boil 1.048, OG 1.066, FG 1.011 (83% AA)

Notes prior to flame-out addition: Rich aroma, sweet malt, bitterness comes through, balanced with the malt, sweetness, slightly toast, pie crust

Fermentation: smooth, compacted cake

Notes at bottling: honey, sweet and blended hop notes, well balanced towards the hops side

Bottled sample: super carbonated, large yeast sediment in bottle (yet was highly attenuated at bottling time), sediment stirred up by a bit of gushing, light warm orange tint, hop nose more subdued than some, dry finish, light body, crisper/brighter hops with more lingering bitterness, some harshness, but could be yeast bite.

I really liked this one. The next 2 batches of pale ale right after this used Belgian Pils due to my high efficiency results, but the sack of grain on deck for the next one is Golden Promise for comparison. I'll see what my efficiency numbers are on a larger batch compared to the pils. I've had Summit's Meridian pale ale brewed with a similar sounding/tasting UK malt which works great in that.

img-20130525-00185.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #27
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Maris Otter Malt

Maris Otter Malt

Stats: 1.052, OG 1.085, FG 1.018 (79% AA)

Notes prior to flame-out addition: very full aroma, moist bread, maple, malt buries the mash hops, full mouthfeel

Fermentation: large amount of chunky, clumpy trub

Notes at bottling: more hop aroma than some, full body, rounder flavor, slight astringency

Bottled sample: 1st sample was similar to Global Kolsch, but with slight carbonation and a little sediment in the bottle, thus sweet. Notes from a 2nd bottle

Deep orange color, relatively dry finish despite a medium full body, hop flavors muted, bitterness in balance more towards the English end of an IPA.

Well there's a reason American IPAs tend towards 2-row. The result here was a bit muddled. In terms of the numbers, a great performing malt. I prefer the Golden Promise flavors over the Maris Otter though. Looking back, I apparently didn't take great notes, perhaps indicating I was unimpressed. [should have noted before that these various samples were tasted over a 2-3 day span, not a marathon session]

img-20130525-00186.jpg  

Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Belgian Pilsner Malt

Belgian Pilsner Malt

Stats: pre-boil 1.059, OG 1.085, FG 1.020 (76% AA)

Notes prior to flame-out addition: musty, malty grain flavor, full body. buries the mash hops, bit of bitterness comes at the end. cookie flavor

Fermentation: smooth compact cake

Notes at bottling: incredibly clear compared to the others, sweet honey blended with the hops, sweet smell, full bodied, slight astringent bitterness.

Bottled sample: ... lacking notes despite finishing 3 of the 4 bottles.

No photos either, but I can tell you this was my favorite for the brew day and fermentation performance in addition to having some noticeable malt character in the finished beer, but not muddling up with the hops. I'm quite surprised I fell off the wagon on the notes and photos. My subsequent batches (2 pale ales, wittier, and stout) have all used this malt with repeatable efficiency around 75% on my system [these small malt experiment batches were crock pot mash tun and stove top boils - not the same].

As mentioned earlier, my next batch of pale ale will use Simpson's Golden Promise for a comparison. But other than playing from time to time or specific purposes, I'll stick with Belgian Pils as my base. I suppose a similar experiment could be done comparing Pils malts - but my goal was to find something I'm happy with, not compare the world of malts. Mission accomplished.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have 1 more 6-pack set. In the near future I plan to take it out to get more opinions. It will likely be at Sweet Mullets brewpub in Oconomowoc, west of Milwaukee. I'll post here when it'll be and would love to share with others who are interested.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #30
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 245 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Thanks for the Update Quaker, interesting results. I've always wanted to do this myself but just couldn't quite get up the nerve to commit that much time to the project. Just having those flavor profiles stored in your head is going to make your recipe formulation that much better now. Seriously cool stuff

Quick Reply