Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Base malt experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I claimed to be a patient guy, but it got the best of me. I chilled and cracked one open. This is the Simpson's Golden Promise. Aggressive pour produced big bubbles. Simply needs more time carbonating. After that head dissipated, a gentle swirl and a tight one reforms about 1/4" thick.
image-1819924335.jpg

Aroma has a scorched quality to it. I think that might be from the Columbus mash hops. Also get the expected citrus and pine as well as a musty melon. As mentioned prior, I probably went over board with hops preventing the malt from coming through. However my goal is to select a malt which plays well together since I prefer hoppy beers.

Flavor again is hop forward. With the blend, nothing in particular stands out which I've learned I prefer over a drum solo by any single hop. Definitely has a substantial body to it. Dry down the tongue but leaves some flavor clinging to the walls.

It will be more interesting when the time comes to line these up and compare side by side. Although the malt doesn't stand out here, I'm sure it's contributing. Time will tell. I have some travel coming up which will help my patience. And patience will help a little bit if hops to drop out. Likely will be late May before I do a proper tasting.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Another weekend, another test. Opened up one of the Global Kolsch. Had a pfsst when opening, no head other than a ring at the edge.

Aroma is very sweet, maple syrup. Taste follows that. Sweet, maple syrup flavor. Not sure where all the late hops went. There is a light bitterness in the aftertaste. Medium finish. Not cloying like may be expected from the aroma and flavor. I think it would be awesome jacked up as a Barley Wine. Would also do well as a mild or Scottish ale. Clueless on the Kolsch name.

image-1327944575.jpg

That's the end of my extras. I now have 3 6-pack sets remaining. Next weekend I travel overseas for a week then its a holiday weekend. So will probably be Jube when I do a proper side by side tasting session with others. Again - if someone is in the Milwaukee region, PM me if you want to be involved. Just 1 spoke up so far.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just poured the last bit from the bottle. No yeast sediment. I'm guessing I forgot the carb drop in this bottle.

Gold_Robber Likes This 
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I like the experiment and a nice group of base malts to test...but why such a complex and heavy late hop addition when you're trying to compare base malts? I'd have thrown in 15 IBUs of warrior or magnum for bittering and called it done. I'd also have thrown in 5-10% of a light crystal just to round out the beer fairly. Each to his own, for sure...it just seemed... a bit odd of a test setup to me.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I wanted to test the malts in the style of beers I mostly brew, and I wanted decent beers to drink. When in China I frequently blended some Vienna and/or Munich in with Pilsner to give a fair bit of backbone to my pale ales or IPAs. I'm hoping to find a base malt I'm happy with that doesn't need the helping hand. Yet I don't want one which gets muddled with the hops.

What I didn't expect to find was major differences in the trub and yeast cakes. I didn't take great notes on it, but it will factor into my selection.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
PorterGlenn
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

not only suscribed but inspired to do a similar experiment in Denver

Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
Starrider
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am also anxious to hear the results. I think running the test the way you did so it was in the style or flavor you preferred was good. I tend toward the less hopy styles myself but your method I think is sound and gives you a good comparison without going outside what you are looking for in your regular brews. Hoping I can use your results in my own recipes.

Lagering: Yuengling clone
Conditioning: Red's Riding Ale
Serving: Red's Riding Ale
Hard Lemonade,
Hefeweizen

Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
JeffD1
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Subscribed....(i'm sure there is a way to do this without replying but I can't seem to find it)

Primary 1: Rootbeer milk stout
Primary 2: Rye IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Strong scotch ale
On Deck: ST. Bernadus ABT 12, OktoberFAST ale
Bottles: Hoegaarden clone, Lemongrass Ginger Wheat beer, Red Rocket Clone, Smuttynose Winterale clone

Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #19
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm admittedly remiss in following up, primarily due to having no computer at home yet (it's in a relocation shipment of household goods from Shanghai). I have tasted all, have photos, and have opinions. Short answer, I've used Belgian Pilsner as my base for my 5 full size batches since. But there will be recipes I opt for some of the others.

Hang in there folks. I'll get to it soon enough.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I'm admittedly remiss in following up, primarily due to having no computer at home yet (it's in a relocation shipment of household goods from Shanghai). I have tasted all, have photos, and have opinions. Short answer, I've used Belgian Pilsner as my base for my 5 full size batches since. But there will be recipes I opt for some of the others.

Hang in there folks. I'll get to it soon enough.
Do you have a smart phone? The HomeBrewTalk app is pretty good. I wouldn't want to type a huge response with it, but it can help you stay connected.

Quick Reply