Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Base malt experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Base malt experiment

After a couple years in China, where I worked with whatever base malt I could get locally, I was faced with a huge variety of choices coming home. I want to purchase base malt by the sack. Granted I did quite well in China thanks to the generosity and assistance of Mike Jordan, the brewmaster doing great things at Shanghai's Boxing Cat Brewery offering up Weyermann and Castle malts. So I made 6 small batches with 2 lbs each of various base malts.

Much of my gear still hasn't shipped from China yet, so my process was modified for what I have. I love hoppy beers, so I purposely used a hoppy pale ale recipe for comparison. Likely I went too hoppy if only wanting to compare malts, but I'm looking for something that plays well with hops. I do like a good malt base in a pale ale or IPA. I frequently blended some Vienna and/or Munich malt in with my pilsner base malt.

Each recipe was 2 lbs base malt alone
I used 4g Columbus mash hops in each batch
Mashed in a bag with a crock pot
3L strike water and 2L sparge water
Targeted 152, but on a later batch of Saison I discovered my brand new thermometer was almost 10 degrees off. So honestly don't know what I mashed at, but I was consistent.

6 malts were crushed in NB Milwaukee's mill at 0.040
Breiss Organic 2-ro
Belgian Pilsner (I used Castle in China)
Breiss Ashburne Mild
Global Kolsch
Simpson's Golden Promise
Maris Otter

60 minute boil each
No bittering hops other than the mash hops were used
At flameout a blend of 8g Cascade plus 4g each of Columbus, Chinook, Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo
The kettle was placed in a snow bank for 20 minutes so some bitterness would be picked up while cooling.
Then it was racked to a gallon jug and crash cooled in the fridge until the stick-on fermometer read 64.
Each was pitched with a third of a packet of US05.

The variability of gravity results was unexpected. The racked volume varied, but interestingly the higher OG was often the larger volume, so it wasn't due to evaporation rates. You can see from the pre-boil, OG numbers which ones had more evaporation and from the pics the relative volume. It may be due to crush as some kernels are larger than others.

They were brewed on 3/16. Were put in the fridge on 3/27 to crash cool. Bottled direct from primary on 4/14. Got 4x 12 ounce bottles of each except for the Maris Otter and 2-row with only 3 bottles.

Mild pre-boil 1.041, OG 1.058, FG 1.018 (69%AA)
Kolsch pre-boil 1.054, OG 1.080, FG 1.026 (67.5% AA)
2-row pre-boil 1.047, OG 1.065, FG 1.013 (80% AA)
Golden Promise pre-boil 1.048, OG 1.066, FG 1.011 (83% AA)
Maris Otter pre-boil 1.052, OG 1.085, FG 1.018 (79% AA)
Pilsner pre-boil 1.059, OG 1.085, FG 1.020 (76% AA)

At racking, the Maris Otter and the 2-row had a layer of real chunky trub. The others had a fairly dense cake. The Mild had the thickest trub or yeast cake.

I took the OG hydro samples just prior the flameout hops to get a comparison of the malts. I've also tasted them at bottling. I'll wait until I can taste the carbonated samples to post the tasting notes and my final preference. I can say I'm quite happy with the recipe. Quite a tasty, hoppy pale ale. At pitching, the Kolsch was my favorite. At bottling I favored the Pilsner with the Golden Promise a close second. We'll see what the future holds.

Photo of the fermenters
image-1041330979.jpg

Photo of samples at bottling
image-2953354653.jpg

I'll post again in about 3 or 4 weeks. I believe on letting beers mature and meld a bit before passing judgement. No rush since my gear win't get shipped until June which means it'll be late sumner before i'm back to a regular brew schedule. I'll include my tasting notes from each stage together with my final results.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Great post, interested to see what your conclusions are.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Excellent experiment! Can't wait to hear about the final taste test. I've never heard of Global Kolsch malt, but am surprised by how dark it is (assuming it is meant for kolsch-style beer).

Old 04-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That Global Kolsch is listed as 4.5L, so the color jives with that. But I agree it surprised me, considering I lived in Cologne part time for 8 months and drank my fair share of Kolsch. The low attenuation from it also seems consistent with NB's description with my single infusion mash. It may need a stepped mash to get the most from it. It definitely has flavor. I can picture it's use in a Czech/Bohemian pilsner, especially a tmavé which was my go to there. I can say now that it won't make the cut as my house base malt, but that doesn't mean I won't use it again.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thinking ahead, any folks out there in the Milwaukee area that would be interested in a tasting of these, shoot me a PM. I'd love to get others involved and will try to coordinate that in May sometime.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Interested and subscribed.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
lebucheron
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Hmm... Curious about the MO vs Pils. Cool experiment.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Great write up Quaker.
The dark colour of the "Koelsch" malt is a strange one,eh. Looks more like mild malt.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

JLem - just subscribed to your site on my blog feeder. Read your small batch post and comment about bottling and losses from them.

I bottled directly from the jugs using a small siphon starter and just plain tubing into the bottle. It would have helped to have another hand, but with one hand I was able to hold the racking cane/siphon off the bottom and incline the jug. Next time I think it would be good to prop them up while cold crashing in the fridge and again at racking to compact the yeast cake at an angle. With the other hand I'd put the tubing in the bottle and use elevation to be my valve. Raising the bottle up when full. Only spilled on a few daydream moments of not paying attention.

The fact that I primary fermented in the jugs meant I had too thick of trub and yeast to simply let the cane sit on the bottom.

I don't know if its any better than what you do, but I didn't feel I lost much this way. A couple times I did use a portion of my hydrometer sample to top off a bottle to get a final one full.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker
JLem - just subscribed to your site on my blog feeder. Read your small batch post and comment about bottling and losses from them.

I bottled directly from the jugs using a small siphon starter and just plain tubing into the bottle. It would have helped to have another hand, but with one hand I was able to hold the racking cane/siphon off the bottom and incline the jug. Next time I think it would be good to prop them up while cold crashing in the fridge and again at racking to compact the yeast cake at an angle. With the other hand I'd put the tubing in the bottle and use elevation to be my valve. Raising the bottle up when full. Only spilled on a few daydream moments of not paying attention.

The fact that I primary fermented in the jugs meant I had too thick of trub and yeast to simply let the cane sit on the bottom.

I don't know if its any better than what you do, but I didn't feel I lost much this way. A couple times I did use a portion of my hydrometer sample to top off a bottle to get a final one full.
Thanks for the input. I actually bottled those small batches a couple months ago. I decided to attach the bottling wand directly to the tubing from a racking cane and bottles directly from the gallon jugs. Since these were essentially secondary vessels I had relatively little trub to deal with. I also opted to add sugar directly to each bottle instead of batch priming. I think I went with 0.5 teaspoons per bottle. I ended up getting 7 bottles from each batch and things seemed to work out just fine. At some point I will try to followup with a blog post on the process and results, but if you've read the blog at all you know how delinquent I usually am about following up with tasting notes!

My Beer Cellar

Quick Reply