Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > BARLEY WINE recipe critique!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #21
beargrylls
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i ended up pouring the yeast cake into a sanitized measuring cup, and it measured 250 ml of yeast/trub. i pitched the whole thing into my wort, bc it wasnt a huge cake and i figured a little too much yeast is better than not enough yeast.

also, on another note, i missed my target gravity by 27 points. i think this was due to efficiency, as i had my recipe calc set to 68% but only got about 56% or so. this is going to bring me to 8.4% if it finished at 1.021. if it finishes higher, is there anything wrong with putting in some sugar after fermentation finishes? or is high krausen the best time? i kind of want to wait to see what the FG is bc i dont want the sugar to dry it out too much

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
ddrrseio
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

gravity on bigger batches is tough to hit. i've found that the best way to help get me there is pretty vigorous mixing and recirculating a few times. i don't have a pump so i manually drain off the mash and pour it back in a few times. this helps a lot, particularly with beers like BW and RIS.

good luck!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
motorneuron
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah, it's hard to get the last sugar out without being massively over volume on the wort. You can sort of fix this by making a smaller amount of high gravity beer and a larger amount of lower-gravity beer (that is, parti-gyle).

You can definitely add sugar at high krausen. You can also go get some malt extract, boil it for ten minutes in a small quantity of water, and then add that to the carboy. That will keep the body and flavor profile relatively more similar.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #24
beargrylls
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i actually did make a small beer from the rest of the grain. i figured i would have a bunch of sugar left so i sparged some more and got a little less than 2 gallons of 1.031 wort.

i ended up boiling for more than 2.5 hours and still only got 1.084, but if i had boiled for another half hour or so, i think i could have gotten much closer to my target gravity, but with about 2.5 gal instead of 3. i hit 3 gallons right on the nose after the boil. anyway, the sample tasted like syrup with hops

recirculating sounds like a good idea, i will try that next time. i also noticed that when i was cleaining out my cooler mash tun, the braided metal hose had drifted up from the bottom into the middle portion of the mash tun. i guess this was when i was stirring and it didnt settle back down bc the mash was so thick. im guessing this had something to do with my low efficiency as well

Old 05-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargrylls View Post
i think i might switch the c80 to c60 or even c40 then. it probably wont make a huge difference, but from what i understand, special b is just a really dark crystal malt, so pairing it with another dark crystal malt might not make alot of sense.
I've used 12 oz in a 5 gallon batch of special B and it turned out great. It gives the beer some nice subtle cherry tones.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #26
beargrylls
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernip View Post
I've used 12 oz in a 5 gallon batch of special B and it turned out great. It gives the beer some nice subtle cherry tones.
the barleywine was the first time i used special b. chewed some up before i mashed in and it was great, tasted like raisins and brown sugar. cant wait to see what it tastes like in the finished beer. hope i used enough!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #27
beargrylls
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ok so i just sampled this after about 3 weeks and its not bad. i didnt not add any sugar. the fg ended pretty low, 1.016. came out to 8.9%. it's strange though, this tastes pretty sweet even at 1.016.

it is a bit bitter, but im guessing that will fade a little with some aging. im thinking about bottling half of it and aging the other half on some oak chips

Quick Reply