Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > BARLEY WINE recipe critique!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
LuckyBeagleBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think you will be happy with that hop combination. I use that same combo for my Victory Old Horizontal clone only a little different schedule. Makes a fine American Barleywine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #12
motorneuron
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah I agree, that looks like a good hop schedule. Bearing in mind that the hops will fade--especially aroma--after some aging, and the bitterness will decrease, and you'll have a very high FG, I think you'll have a good malt character but still have some hop presence.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
ddrrseio
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

recipe seems unnecessarily complex

why add the sugar at all? if it's to dry the beer out, i'd prefer just mashing lower and choosing a more efficient yeast strain

as far as the %s of special B and c80 - those are, in my opinion, a bit high, but you may like your barleywine like that.

what is the reasoning behind the rye?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
beargrylls
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i like rye beers and i saw a barleywine recipe on here with some flaked rye, so i figured i'd try it. I also came to the same conclusion about the sugar, and I decided to just up the MO to 8.5 lbs. if i need the sugar i can put it in later.

i also decided on 6 oz c60 and 4 oz special b, which is only 5.2% crystal malts.

what temp would you recommend mashing at? i was thinking of starting at 150 and letting it drop from there for 75 min

Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
motorneuron
Recipes 

Yeah I wouldn't mash higher than 152F, certainly, given your target OG (and resulting very high FG). 150F for 75 minutes sounds good to me. There's no way that your final wort will be insufficiently viscous.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
ddrrseio
Recipes 

150 should be fine. it has a lot to do with your yeast selection. for barleywine, i have used s04 and s05 and wyeast strains scottish ale and american ale II yeasts.

i got very good attenuation from all but the AAII. the scottish ale yeast was a complete monster (1.118 to 1.011!), so i'd probably back off of my 148 temp for that one in the future! with that particular one, i had added agave during high krausen several times, and i've found that this kind of addition (like what you are planning with sugar) tends to dry the beer out even further. every time i've tried this, a control batch with no post-kettle additions actually finishes at a higher gravity than the one with a now greater OG. pretty interesting how yeast work.

the most important things for getting a beer like this to attenuate (and you do want it to attenuate - even when dry, the dark fruit and other flavors in barleywine come through appropriately) are pitching a crapload of yeast and giving them a healthy start.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
beargrylls
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i'm mashing right now at 150, and i'm planning on pitching onto a s05 yeast cake of an irish red that i bottled today. im figuring this will be plenty of yeast, and probably more than i could get by making a 1 or 2 liter starter. If i could get it down to around 1.025, that would be fine with me
wow 1.118 to 1.011...14%? thats insane. how did that one turn out?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
ddrrseio
Recipes 

be careful pitching onto cakes! this can easily lead to extreme overpitching, which can develop a lot of green apple and booze in your beer. i'm not an expert on this but people always seem to warn against it.

the gravity sample of the agave BW was pretty good - not nearly as hot as you'd expect for a month-old beer of that size. i'd used a greater % agave in my gallon test batch, and i might have gone too low for this one, but i still get some interesting candied orange/marmelade from the agave. it's sitting on some bourbon-soaked oak cubes right now!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
beargrylls
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

mmmm that sounds delicious. i dont have a huge yeast cake, its sort of like a half inch up in the bottom of a 6 gallon carboy. should i pour some out?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #20
motorneuron
Recipes 

If you have time tonight while you're waiting for the boil, cooling, etc. you could pour in some sterile water, swish it around to loosen everything, and pour into a sanitized container, then pour off the water and top layer (which is probably trub), and then use the remaining yeast. That's what Gordon Strong recommends. This also lets you clean out your carboy before pouring in the BW wort, which is probably a good thing.

I don't know much personally about overpitching, and I don't have my copy of _Yeast_ on me (I'm at work), but for a BW it's advantageous to have a lot of yeast. So if you do the decant/rinse method, I bet you'll still be okay. But I guess I can't say for sure.

Quick Reply