Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Barley Wine Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Bopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default Barley Wine Problems

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I brewed a big barley wine with the plans to crack my first one around new years. When racking to the secondary I ran into some problems with my siphon...for some reason I wasn't getting a good syphon and it kept stopping. Can't figure out why...have NEVER had this problem. In light of this start/stop/repumping of the siphon there was a fair amount of bubbles on top of the beer. Not a good racking job at all.

I am worried about oxidation...especially considering I planned on conditioning some of these bottles for a few years.

Should I be worried or should I RDWHAHB?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
HomerT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If it was during the racking to secondary, I would say RDWHAHB. There is enough CO2 present, that it should have started bubbling again in the secondary because of stirring up the yeast. That CO2 should push any air out. I would say that chance of excessive oxidation shouldn't be an issue.

My $.03.

-Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply