Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Barley wine: Bulk aging vs aging in the bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
jjacobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Barley wine: Bulk aging vs aging in the bottle

I'm brewing my first barley wine this weekend - I'll be dry hopping as well as adding some oak chips to the secondary. I plan on leaving it on the oak for around 4 weeks and the dry hop for the last two weeks of that time prior to bottling.

I have a couple of options, I'm not sure what's best or recommended:

1) Add the oak chips at the start of secondary fermentation, two weeks later add the dry hop, and two weeks later bottle and age in the bottle for several months.

2) Add the oak chips at the start of secondary fermentation, two weeks later add the dry hop, and then rack to a tertiary carboy to bulk age for several months.

3) Let it mature in the secondary for several months, then add the oak chips, two weeks later add the dry hop, and two weeks later bottle.

Any thoughts on what the best method is? I'm leaning towards option #1 simply because it would free up a carboy for other brews... but I'm not so sure that's what's best for the beer (though I don't know it would "hurt" it either).

Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
jjacobs
Recipes 

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think option 2 and 3 will yield similar results. However, option 3 is appealing since you get the bulk aging benefits, with one less transfer. I tend to try to avoid transferring beer since you risk contamination and oxidation at each step.

This summer, I brewed a big old ale and the recipe called for the addition of dried fruit in the secondary for a few weeks and then rack to tertiary for bulk aging. Instead, I waited for primary fermentation to slow down, added the fruit to primary and let it sit the recommended amount time. Then transferred to secondary for bulk aging. The beer is turning out amazing and I did one less transfer than recommended. Hope my experiences will help.

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Old 12-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh, and another reason to do option #3 is that you'll have more of that great "raw hops" flavor since you'll be bottling right after dry hopping. Yeah, I'd definitely do option #3.

Primary:

Old 12-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 for option 1 or 3. You are into extended aging and oxygen is not your friend. Aging in secondary vs bottle would probably yield flavor differences. But it's hard to predict what kind.

My airlock passes gas.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoldebrewer View Post
Aging in secondary vs bottle would probably yield flavor differences. But it's hard to predict what kind.
Meeeeeh I dunno if that would make that big of a difference in flavor. Bulk aging would just allow it to age faster, IIRC.

+1 to #3

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

From a fellow who just got judging sheets back from an Old Ale submitted to a BJCP-sanctioned competition, I'd actually suggest doing #2, so that you can get the perceived benefits of oxidation, which fit within the guidelines.

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 12-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Personally I'd go with number 3 but only because I bulk age my big beers in secondary for months and then bottle. I just cracked open my first bottle of barleywine that I brewed in February. One month primary, six months secondary and I dry hopped the last 10-14 days of secondary.

Edit: Another good reason for bulk aging is because I wasn't sure if I could trust myself from not sampling from time to time. If its in a carboy in a crawl space then its out of sight and out of mind.

Last edited by DrinksWellWithOthers; 12-19-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
barrog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about a 4th? Oak right away then bulk age. Then two weeks before bottleing add the hops. That way the oak had time to age and the hops are nice and fresh.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
From a fellow who just got judging sheets back from an Old Ale submitted to a BJCP-sanctioned competition, I'd actually suggest doing #2, so that you can get the perceived benefits of oxidation, which fit within the guidelines.
I agree that for an Old Ale, oxidation is an important feature, but you usually get it from extended bottle conditioning. For an Old Ale, you take it to a friend that doesn't drink, tell him to hide it and then forget about it for 2 years. At the end, when you eventually remember about the beer, you'll have an amazing product. But in this thread, we're talking about a barleywine which shouldn't reveal oxidation. I vote for the minimal amount of tampering. Beers like that need to be left alone.

Primary:

Quick Reply