Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > bananas & peanut butter elvis beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
heinz57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
I figure the bannana is going to pack a punch anyway and im gonna get mkore sugars and flavor from it if i boil and mash it. Honestly this is a shot in the dark.....
When I was putting together a recipe for a fruit beer I made, the hardest decision was determining where to put the fruit. I posted about it here, and listened to JZ's fruit beer episode, and determined that the best solution for the type of fruit I was using was to add to the secondary. I had a puree so it made decent sense at the time. I don't think adding it to the mash will give you significantly more sugars, especially if the bananas over ripe already. I'd be curious to see if the boil really gives you more flavor, as opposed to less too.

I dunno about using banana skins though. I didn't read Yooper's thread on the banana wine, so I don't know if there is a reason for it, but it seems unnecessary to me.

All in all, I think the two best places to add fruit are in the mash, or in the secondary, so either way I think you'll be fine. Just some fruit for thought, ok that was a bit of a stretch, but I couldn't resist.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #12
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
i personally think you should make it as a dunkelweizen. use the bananas, but also get the flavor from WLP300 banana. use british grains and make it nice and bready...get the peanut butter flavor in there.

my banana bread ale is dead on. tastes kinda like it and SMELLS exactly like banana bread.
just a thought
i did consider a dunklewizen but i was afraid the banana esters in the yeast would compound with the fruit leading to waaaay overpowering banana. In the perfect world of my head im picturing a fairly balanced beer. I had considered peanut butter and jelly and bananas but i dont know if elvis would have approved.

wlp300...if thats the same as wyeast wienerstephan then i have that on hand. What temp would you ferment at for this? it would probably be around 72-75 without the wet shirt etc(vs 65-68)....that would make for hell of a lot of banana.

And as for the breadyness. i do think that would go well which is why i threw in the biscut malt. What specific grains were you thinking? I could swap marris otter for the pale malt and up the biscut to .75....

Old 11-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
bashe
Recipes 

You could tried the powdered peanut butter Bell Plantation, Inc. - PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter - Home

Coming Up: Westvleteren 12 clone, Oktoberfast, SWMBO Slayer
Projects: Fermentation Chamber
Beer Blog

Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

that's a good idea, too...i think that turned out well and there is less oil to worry about.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashe View Post
You could tried the powdered peanut butter Bell Plantation, Inc. - PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter - Home
i saw this late last night when i was crawling around on threads. Im gonna go with the powdered peanut butter for peace of mind. The orders in for 2 jars of chocolate and two jars of regular. I figure i can use a full jar of the regular and half of the chocolate if i need to. That should blend nicley. I also like the idea of dunkelweizen because there isnt a chance in hell this things gonna clear with the peanut butter additions.

heres one of the threads i have been referencing:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pean...-butter-61538/
1.5 jars of butter sounds like alot but according to his additions it didint come through as much as he would have wanted. I deffinitly wanna taste it but since its a lighter beer(stout vs dunkelweizen) i figure i should be ok with only 1 jar

Old 11-22-2008, 10:57 PM   #16
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

you've inspired me to revisit and upgrade my banana bread ale.

this is pretty much the original grain bill:
6.00 lbs British Munich
4.00 lbs Red Wheat Malt
0.25 lbs British Chocolate Malt

and i'm thinking of adding:
0.50 lbs Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs Biscuit Malt (or maybe a belgian crystal)
0.25 lbs Carapils

for bittering, i'm thinking of using EKG, as it is soft, spicy and will compliment the chocolate malt.

WLP300 for ultra banana action and i'm going to throw some bananas in the mash for good measure

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-23-2008, 12:46 AM   #17
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

aha, yay, ya know, the King here. Next ya gotta brew me a meatloaf ale. I loves me some meatloaf, 'specially wrapped in bacon and deep fried. Why once I ate it at every meal for a month straight. Just ask Priscilla. Uh huh, thanyvermuch.

oooh, and don't forget the biscuits and red eye gravy...

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 11-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #18
scinerd3000
Recipes 

I have 3 more beers lined up and then this ones goin in the kettle so if you think of anything else- post away. Im going with the powdered peanutbutter and i decided not to go with the hef yeast, Whatever banana flavor i get from this i want to be the result of the fruit. Im either gonna go with a WLP029 Kolsch or WLP001 or possibly just nottingham. I dont want the yeast to contribute too much. I also am going to swap the fuggle for hallertau. and up it to slightly under 25 ibu's. Im using marris otter instead of two row also.

Thanks for everyones help

Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #19
MrVagabond
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anything ever come of this brew? Very curious about a peanut butter and banana brew myself. It might even be too late to get this ready in time for Elvis' birthday.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
daugenet
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So did anyone ever end up brewing this? I was cusrious about the taste.

Quick Reply