Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Banana Bread Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #91
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brewed this on Monday.Changed up the recipe slightly just for fun. I was a little nervous as it took 48 hrs. to take off but know it's bubbling away. Usually I do a starter but just pitched a vial of WLP300 this time. I'm used to needing a blow off with this yeast but there is only about a half inch layer of krausen with brown gunk on top. Can't really smell bananas for sure but it smells good nonetheless. Looking forward to tasting this one though. I'm thinking about doing a secondary with vanilla beans in a week or so.

5.75lb. Wheat Malt
3.75lb. Munich Malt
1.00lb. Flaked Oats
0.25lb. Cara Pils
0.25lb. Crystal 60L
0.25lb. Caramunich Malt
0.25lb. Chocolate Malt
0.25lb. Victory Malt

1.50oz. Styrian Goldings (3.20%)
0.75oz. E Kent Goldings (4.50%)

I probably could of used either the 60L Crystal or Caramunich but I read the crystal adds body, color and improves head retention and the Caramunich adds caramel sweetness so I decided to use both. I transferred to secondary on three vanilla beans tonight after 11 days and gravity was 1.022 from 1.060 11 days ago. As noted above it took two days to take off so I hope I didn't have a stuck fermentation. Hopefully I'll pick up a few more points when I bottle in a week or so. If not it's just under 5 abv anyway but might be a little on the sweet side. Time will tell.

Bottled this today after 10 days in secondary. Finished at 1.022 which I had hoped would have finished a little lower but oh well. Sample tasted pretty good still. I did a little experiment too. Bottled 1/2 the batch and added 2 ounces of banana extract to the other 1/2. I'll let you guys know in 3 weeks what the verdict is.

Last edited by RandalG; 08-28-2010 at 02:07 AM.
ChrisCorley Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #92
ftlstrings
Recipes 

Looks interesting! Is this something that a person (me) who doesn't like Hefes could enjoy? If not, maybe I'll just make some banananana bread and sip an imperial stout...

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #93
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry to bring this thread back for third time, but I recently tried that Wells Banana Nut Ale, and loved it. I was wondering if anyone has nailed this recipe to where it tastes something like it.

On a side note, I usually shop from Austin Homebrew but had trouble finding some of deathbrewer's ingredients... Anyone know a LHBS where I can order all the ingredients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #94
WineChief
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I didn't read all the posts, but has anyone tried this with Nottingham? I think I'm going to try this for my first all grain batch.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #95
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

It would work fine and probably taste great, but you won't get the banana character from the yeast and it would probably be a much more dry and clear beer.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 10-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #96
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 62 Posts

Default Why Wheat?

OK, been lurking the Banana beer threads for a while now and I have some thoughts and want to hear from the peop's that brewed this...
I get why we're using the WLP300...Low pitch rate and high ferm temps with that yeast will give banana esters
...what I dont get is why we're using predominatly Wheat malt. I want to try a test batch on my 1 gallon system and I am thinking that the bready quality wouldn't come from wheat because my impression is that it is dry and slighly astringent when its end fermented.
What I am thinking of is swapping the base malt (wheat malt) with somthing like Maris Otter for a more nutty/baked good canvas on which to paint with Banana and omitting the Wheat malt altogether. I assume that the Bannana is comming from the yeast not the wheat (guessing). Your thoughts?

also...I think that this Banana note is exceptionally difficult to get in a beer that has aged for any length of time due to the volitility of the esters and the ability of the yeast to "clean up" those notes with aging. Im thinking younger is better (end ferment...secondary for 1-2 weeks and bottle..drink as soon as carbed 8-10 days)
Well's Banana Bread Beer is the only commercial version that I know of and they say on the label that they brew w/ bananas (I dont believe that adds much to the banana flavor regardless of where they use it, but makes it so they can sleep better calling it Banana beer) but it also says they add flavor. I think that if they thought they could get this flavor to stick around, with the resources they have as a commercial brewery, they would have done it. Therefore...I think adding a small amount of banana extract or spicing the secondary is not only legit, but maybe you have to. How 'bout it?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #97
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
OK, been lurking the Banana beer threads for a while now and I have some thoughts and want to hear from the peop's that brewed this...
I get why we're using the WLP300...Low pitch rate and high ferm temps with that yeast will give banana esters
...what I dont get is why we're using predominatly Wheat malt. I want to try a test batch on my 1 gallon system and I am thinking that the bready quality wouldn't come from wheat because my impression is that it is dry and slighly astringent when its end fermented.
What I am thinking of is swapping the base malt (wheat malt) with somthing like Maris Otter for a more nutty/baked good canvas on which to paint with Banana and omitting the Wheat malt altogether. I assume that the Bannana is comming from the yeast not the wheat (guessing). Your thoughts?

also...I think that this Banana note is exceptionally difficult to get in a beer that has aged for any length of time due to the volitility of the esters and the ability of the yeast to "clean up" those notes with aging. Im thinking younger is better (end ferment...secondary for 1-2 weeks and bottle..drink as soon as carbed 8-10 days)
Well's Banana Bread Beer is the only commercial version that I know of and they say on the label that they brew w/ bananas (I dont believe that adds much to the banana flavor regardless of where they use it, but makes it so they can sleep better calling it Banana beer) but it also says they add flavor. I think that if they thought they could get this flavor to stick around, with the resources they have as a commercial brewery, they would have done it. Therefore...I think adding a small amount of banana extract or spicing the secondary is not only legit, but maybe you have to. How 'bout it?

The original poster of this is a big Dunkelweisen fan as am I. That is why it has so much wheat and you are correct about the yeast. That is what contributes the banana flavor.
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #98
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm in the same shoes as Brewskii. Right now in the process of getting all the AG equipment needed (8-10 gallon pot for the most part), and getting ready to brew this.

I am also wondering if replacing the wheat with Maris Otter may add to the breadiness. I was also thinking of throwing in some victory malt, and even adding vanilla and/or walnut extract to the secondary.

Any thoughts? Brewskii?

Quote:

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”
Hoosierbilly Likes This 
Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #99
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacaman
I'm in the same shoes as Brewskii. Right now in the process of getting all the AG equipment needed (8-10 gallon pot for the most part), and getting ready to brew this.

I am also wondering if replacing the wheat with Maris Otter may add to the breadiness. I was also thinking of throwing in some victory malt, and even adding vanilla and/or walnut extract to the secondary.

Any thoughts? Brewskii?
It may be a little while before I start my pilot batch but i am thinking I should be brewing it in the next month or so.
I agree with the secondary spices, if you like walnuts i suppose the extract could be valid but I would be SUPER careful cause its my opinion that it's easy to overdo it. Besides, between the MO and the Victory you are thinking of it would be fairly nutty on it's own.
I have a tile project in the kitchen, pumpkin spice ale, and a cream ale that all need my immediate attention... I'll see if I can work something up on BS and post it in a new thread cause I think what we're talking about is really different than the OP.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #100
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
It may be a little while before I start my pilot batch but i am thinking I should be brewing it in the next month or so.
I agree with the secondary spices, if you like walnuts i suppose the extract could be valid but I would be SUPER careful cause its my opinion that it's easy to overdo it. Besides, between the MO and the Victory you are thinking of it would be fairly nutty on it's own.
I have a tile project in the kitchen, pumpkin spice ale, and a cream ale that all need my immediate attention... I'll see if I can work something up on BS and post it in a new thread cause I think what we're talking about is really different than the OP.
Please do so, and keep me posted please. I would never want to upset the almighty Deathbrewer for spamming his thread

Quote:

Quick Reply