Ballentine IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, i'm formulating the Ballantine IPA recipe based on the one in BYOmag. I popped it into Beer Smith and it's not right. If you put the ingredients into the program AS WRITTEN in BYO it goes WAY over the intended 1.074 OG, 62 IBU and 14 SRM.

Did you set the total efficiency in the formula to 65%? BYO uses that rate for all their recipes unless noted. Then once you have it entered with that rate, you can use the "scale" option to adjust to your own brewhouse efficiency. Also note that it goes for six row pale malt, not two.

I just entered myself and only off slightly on OG, ABV and SRM I am always off to BYO. Here's the log:

Recipe: Ballantine IPA BYO 6/10 TYPE: All Grain
Style: American IPA
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 8.7 SRM SRM RANGE: 6.0-15.0 SRM
IBU: 61.4 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 40.0-70.0 IBUs
OG: 1.073 SG OG RANGE: 1.056-1.075 SG
FG: 1.014 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.018 SG
BU:GU: 0.841 Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 7.8 %
EE%: 65.00 % Batch: 5.00 gal Boil: 7.50 gal BT: 90 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs 2.0 oz Total Hops: 4.90 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.3 %
2 lbs 6.0 oz Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.7 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 5.69 gal of water at 163.9 F 150.0 F 60 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
Fly sparge with 3.99 gal water at 168.0 F

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.056 SG Est OG: 1.073 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.90 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 41.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 6 17.5 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 3.0 Hop 8 2.0 IBUs

Brewed this last month using the BYO recipe from my last post above but at 70% efficiency. Just cracked the first bottle after two weeks for carbonation and taste test. All I can say is winner winner chicken dinner! It tastes real good! Not overly hoppy like modern IPA's, but has a nice malt/grain flavor followed by bitter finish.

Never had the original, but it does remind me of other historical IPA's I have had. Not sure if I can let it sit a few more weeks before opening the next one!

The original IPA was conditioned for one year in oak tanks. The regular B-Ale that is out today is 18 BU's, and dry hopped with Cascades. A very good Golden Ale. I have heard rumors that the IPA may be return.

It is ALIVE.....

IPA.jpg

I was really, really, really lucky to get to drink Ballantine Burton (brewed in the 1940's and bottled in the 1960's) in June. It was in brilliant condition for its age. Still fully carbonated, not oxidised to shyte.

I'd kill for a time machine to go back and drink Ballantine IPA in its prime.

OMG! I wonder if there is a chance it can be had here? I will have to check with my "pusher". I had a Ballantine India Pale Ale in like 1989 and it stood out to me as being quite a nice beer, not extreme in any way, but subtle, and flavorful

WHERE did you get that? Is it good? And would you pleasssssse send me some?
Someone was kind enough to share a bottle with me at the NHC in Grand Rapids. I wish I did have some more bottles as it was in amazingly good condition.

Look for it in the NE very soon.....more to follow. however, the beer is very solid - strong hop aroma and flavor; citrus, pine, earthy, balanced maltiness, great color. I have been worn to secrecy until later in the week. True Ballantine India Pale Ale.

So, I take it that this beer is available now in Milwaukee? I would love to try this, my favorite bottle opener is a Ballantine opener that is probably older than I am.

So how is it?

:) Didn't open one last night because I wanted to give it plenty of time in the fridge first. Haven't decided if I'm going to open one tonight, or wait share one with my homebrew club on Thursday and the other with my Dad. I'll keep you posted whenever it is that I have one.

It's ok.

Really

I mean it's not like we haven't been waiting a couple decades, what's a little more time?

Really, you just go ahead and take your time. We'll wait.

(Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap...)

Oh sorry. Don't mind me, that was just my foot.

HAHA!

Opened a bottle at my homebrew club meeting Thursday night. Nice IPA, not an over the top hop bomb. Hop aroma was a little floral and it has nice bitterness. I did get a small amount of wood, but had to look for it. Pretty enjoyable overall.

Compared to most IPAs from craft brewers, I don't think it's real exciting. Compare it to most any beer from one of the large volume breweries, though, and it's a very nice beer.

Not sure what pricing will look like but if it's anything close to PBR price-wise (doubt it), it will be a steal. Even at $10 for a sixer I could see picking it up, but that's a pretty crowded space.

Back