Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ballast points sculpin IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #71
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I bottled the grapefruit IPA after 10 days of dry hop (and dry zest), a few days longer than I had intended. The aroma was still of nice sweet zest, like it was after 5 days but perhaps a little milder. The taste is a grapefruit sweetness and noticeably bitter both from bittering hops and zest. The grapefruit bitterness is sharper than the typical bittering hop. I think the two grapefruits worth of zest was a good call, although a bit more sweetness would be nice. Perhaps decreasing the bittering hop and increasing the zest would strike a nice balance but I am not sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #72
Remmy
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2526 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 659

I have all the ingredients for Sculpin. I will be brewing in the next month. This is one of my favorite beers!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #73
Charmin1073
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed the sculpin using Beantown's recipe. This was my first ever homebrew. Turned out awesome. My brother now wants to brew it. I told him, lets brew 2 batches at the same time and I ill add some grapefruit to mine. I am also going to run the flame out hops through my hoprocket. My question is, would it be a good idea to add the grapefruit zest or rind to the small chamber that comes with the hoprocket or just use the zest in secondary? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:16 AM   #74
Charmin1073
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewing the grapefruit version this week. Unfortunately don't have any Amarillo. Gonna substitute Cascade. Also going to use my Hop Rocket instead of putting hops in at flame out along with the zest of one grapefruit. I will put the second grapefruits zest in the secondary.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #75
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
I haven't put the time into putting a clone recipe together for this, but I can tell you everyone's gravitates are waayyyyyyyy off. It's a 1.063/1.008 beer.

Sculpin is extremly dry. I'd say that hitting a terminal gravity of 1.010 or lower is your number one priority with the grain bill. I'm assuming they mash very low, and add carapils to give the beer body. WLP001 seems fitting due to the desired attenuation.
scottland is right, I took a gravity reading of some Sculpin and it was 1.00875 so you'll want to start at 1.062 and shoot for 85.2% ADF for 7% ABV. I asked someone from home brew mart about the 20% caramel malt in the recipe and he said they are using ~15% now.

Next: ?
Fermenting: Munich Helles v4, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #76
AOD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

+1 on the post above, I did this beer using the 1.062 OG and a very low mash temperature. I mixed Mosaic hop into the mix, but kept the amount and timing the same for the 60/30/0 hop additions.

I was told not to worry too much about the specialty grains, just make it light enough to let the hops shine. I came up with the following, but if you don't have Mosaic, just adjust the beer until you get 51 IBU for 60 minute, 15 for 30 minute and go big on the knockout and dry hop.

6.0 Gal Batch
7.0 Gal PreBoil
72% Mash Effy
OG 1.062
FG 1.009
IBU 77

12 lb American 2-Row
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Crystal 10L
0.25 CaraMunich
Mash 148-149F

1.0 oz Amarillo - Mash Hop (9 IBU)
1.5 oz Mosaic - 60 min (51 IBU)
0.6 oz Mosaic - 30 min (15 IBU)
1.4 oz Mosaic - 0 min / Whirlpool
1.0 oz Amarillo Dry Hop
1.0 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
(Optional: I added 2.0 oz Mosaic Dry Hop)

Wyeast 1056

Awesome beer.

~Adam

Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #77
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Headed to Ballast Point right now!!! Can't wait to try some really fresh Sculpin.

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #78
hopstupid
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
Headed to Ballast Point right now!!! Can't wait to try some really fresh Sculpin.
Lucky you drink up sculpin fresh from the brewery is divine.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #79
in_a_days
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hello forum, first post.

Did a 5 gallon batch with the original, extract only recipe last night. I'm very new to all this. I have previously done an IPA kit my girl got me for Valentines day, but that was my first brewing experience. This site is a great resource and I think I've found most the answers to my noob questions. Sculpin, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, and SN Hoptimum are kinda my big three favorite beers, I figured this recipe will probably be a good place to start.

I'm in the Vegas area and a local shop, U Bottle It, was very helpful and had the full range of hop varieties. Planning to dry hop around 7-10 days in to fermentation.

Much was decided before i was born

Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #80
legasus233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_a_days View Post
Hello forum, first post.

Did a 5 gallon batch with the original, extract only recipe last night. I'm very new to all this. I have previously done an IPA kit my girl got me for Valentines day, but that was my first brewing experience. This site is a great resource and I think I've found most the answers to my noob questions. Sculpin, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, and SN Hoptimum are kinda my big three favorite beers, I figured this recipe will probably be a good place to start.

I'm in the Vegas area and a local shop, U Bottle It, was very helpful and had the full range of hop varieties. Planning to dry hop around 7-10 days in to fermentation.
The extract version is absolutely delicious, you will love it. I would recommend only dry-hopping for 7 days, max. If you leave it any longer, you can really pull some grassy flavors which detract from the beer. Make sure to quietly stir the beer in the secondary on day 2 and 4 of the 7 day dry hop to get the hops touching all the beer. I have really noticed a big improvement in the strength of the aroma of my beers by doing this. After the hops settle (day 6), I usually cold crash for a day to get most of the hops to settle to the bottom, then keg (usually force carb because I am too impatient to wait because it's so damn good!)

Quick Reply