Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Baking yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
Nerro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Small update & bumpage.

I've bottled the cyser after one week of primary fermentation. The cyser had cleared completely. I've bottled it in German ½L bottles. I could see the priming happening! This yeast is hyper-active!

I'm going to try one after only a week of lagering just for the hell of it.

The rest will be left alone for at least three months.

"It has served us well, this myth of [guess who]."
- Pope Leo X

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
Bosh
Recipes 

By lagering I hope you don't mean having it sit at lagering temperatures, I don't think the baker's yeast would deal well with that.

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You might be interested in the Basic Brewing Videocast;

September 28, 2007 - Trading Places: Beer and Bread Yeast
James makes a Simcoe Ale with bread yeast, and Steve makes bread with beer yeast.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.ph...nd-bread-yeast

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
Nerro
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

By lagering I meant priming and botteling and just leaving it the hell alone for a while in the dark.

Nice link there, Revvy Looks like the yeast is a lot more interchangable than a lot of people here like to believe

The cyser came out great as well. Making a cider with ale yeast and fresh pressed apple juice right now, look for my post in the "cider" sub-forum.

"It has served us well, this myth of [guess who]."
- Pope Leo X

Old 04-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerro
By lagering I meant priming and botteling and just leaving it the hell alone for a while in the dark.

Nice link there, Revvy Looks like the yeast is a lot more interchangable than a lot of people here like to believe
You definitely want to leave your beer alone in the dark for awhile, usually 3 weeks minimum @ 70 degrees to fully carb and bottle condition...Some beers take longer...I've had stouts and porters take longer...

Granted, we now have hundreds of strains of beer specific yeasts to choose from, but it wasn't always so. Heck the first beer brewed in ancient Sumeria was done by adding pre-baked bread (with fruits and spices baked in) to water and sprouted barley in a mash, and letting it ferment.

And even as recently as the 70's when homebrewing was first legalized in the US, there were very few beer yeast available, and from my understanding they were pretty nasty hard yeast cakes...

So people used what was readily available....And that was the jar or packet of RedStar Bread Yeast sitting in the cupboard (RedStar also makes Wine yeast, like Montrachet, btw.)

It may not be as great as using an ale yeast in terms of floculation and attenuation, and it may not be as "clean tasting" as specific yeasts, but it still works.

Also there's some places in the world (like Bulgaria and the Middle East where for various reasons beer/wine yeasts are not readily available.) So rather than not brew becaause people don't have access to the "right yeast." I say go for it...it ain't like it hasn't been done before...

Plus experimentation is fun!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply