New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bacon Porter




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #21
jd3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: , The Back of the Bus
Posts: 443
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

ALso, read up on making bacon extract.



__________________
jd3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #22
devilishprune
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,242
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3 View Post
ALso, read up on making bacon extract.
I would suggest making the extract in either bacon or vodka with bacon that you've de-fatted as much as possible. I made ~4oz of fat washed vodka the other day, and it tasted like terrible bacon fat when I tried to drink it straight. I think something like that would ruin a beer, but the straight bacon extracted might be fine.


__________________
devilishprune is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #23
m_c_zero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 717
Liked 120 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Default

I admit defeat, I'm giving up on the whole thing. That syrup was the main ingredient. If they ever make more of it, then I'll revisit this.

__________________
m_c_zero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #24
Homebrewtastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,044
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_c_zero
I know this has been talked about many many many times on this forum, though I think the idea of using real bacon in a beer is a bit strange. I think going a different route would work much better. Here's my idea...

I'd like to go with a brewer's best kit ingredient list for a base. I'm looking at the smoked porter. It calls for:

6.6 lb Porter LME
1 lb smoked grains
8 oz chocolate grains
8 oz caramel grains
1.5 oz bittering hops
.5 oz aroma hops
and then of coarse yeast

Here's where I'd like to mix it up a bit. There is a bacon syrup out there used for flavoring coffee and what not. I'm thinking I could substitute some of the malt extract with the syrup. Here's the link to the syrup:

http://www.torani.com/products/bacon-syrup

Each 750ml bottle has around 475g of sugar. From what I'm seeing, I think 2 bottles of this stuff would give it enough of a bacony flavor, so I'm looking at 950g of sugar content from the syrup. My question is this, how much extract should I take away from the original recipe? Also, I know this syrup isn't natural and probably has a bunch of artificial crap in it, anything I should be worried about?

Anyhow, before I start this madness, I would like to get ahold of a bottle and mix some of the syrup in with a similar beer to make sure it is not god aweful. If it's not, then most likely I will be starting this brew within a few weeks. Let me know what you guys think!
I made a bacon infused breakfast stout last year, kept half of it to age. I made bacon extract by cooking a couple pounds of bacon, take the fat and put in a container with scotch for a few weeks, then added it to the beer at secondary. I also added some maple syrup at kegging.

Turned out great.
__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Lambic-ish
Kegged: Das Funken Weisse, Un Poquito Wylde
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog
Homebrewtastic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #25
Homebrewtastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,044
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic

I made a bacon infused breakfast stout last year, kept half of it to age. I made bacon extract by cooking a couple pounds of bacon, take the fat and put in a container with scotch for a few weeks, then added it to the beer at secondary. I also added some maple syrup at kegging.

Turned out great.
Should note that before adding the extract I froze it, then ran it through a coffee filter. I had zero problems with getting 100% of the fat out.

The reason I chose to use the fat over the meat is that the majority of the flavor in bacon is from fat.
__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Lambic-ish
Kegged: Das Funken Weisse, Un Poquito Wylde
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog
Homebrewtastic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
scinerd3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Milton, De
Posts: 2,155
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
Should note that before adding the extract I froze it, then ran it through a coffee filter. I had zero problems with getting 100% of the fat out.

The reason I chose to use the fat over the meat is that the majority of the flavor in bacon is from fat.
how dark did you cook the bacon doing this...crispy or just enough to render fat? and did you cut it up or leave it in strips?
__________________
On Hiatus: Brewing at work....
scinerd3000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #27
Homebrewtastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,044
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000

how dark did you cook the bacon doing this...crispy or just enough to render fat? and did you cut it up or leave it in strips?
Left the bacon whole. Just put it in the oven to cook at 400 until crispy.
__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Lambic-ish
Kegged: Das Funken Weisse, Un Poquito Wylde
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog
Homebrewtastic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #28
scinerd3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Milton, De
Posts: 2,155
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
Left the bacon whole. Just put it in the oven to cook at 400 until crispy.
I'm trying this. I'm assuming you let the liqueur sit out at room temp?

Here's the recipe im thinking....Changed completely from last time:
Elvis Beer- Bacon Banana and Peanut butter Porter

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.02 %
3.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 20.34 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.78 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.78 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.69 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
2.00 items PB2 (Powdered Peanutbutter) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Mash @ 152 for 60 minutes for light-medium body
Wlp001 cal ale yeast or wlp029 kolsch yeast

Cook 2# of bacon and render fat- add to vodka and let sit for 2 weeks, then add to secondary along with either bananas or banana wine i have left over.
__________________
On Hiatus: Brewing at work....
scinerd3000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #29
m_c_zero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 717
Liked 120 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Default

Sounds delicious...

__________________
m_c_zero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #30
Homebrewtastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,044
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
I'm trying this. I'm assuming you let the liqueur sit out at room temp?

Here's the recipe im thinking....Changed completely from last time:
Elvis Beer- Bacon Banana and Peanut butter Porter

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.02 %
3.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 20.34 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.78 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.78 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.69 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
2.00 items PB2 (Powdered Peanutbutter) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Mash @ 152 for 60 minutes for light-medium body
Wlp001 cal ale yeast or wlp029 kolsch yeast

Cook 2# of bacon and render fat- add to vodka and let sit for 2 weeks, then add to secondary along with either bananas or banana wine i have left over.
There's a lot going on in that beer. I'd worry about the flavors getting lost in translation. Kill the PB and Banana. And just try the strait bacon beer. See how you like it then if you decide to rebrew build from there.


__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Lambic-ish
Kegged: Das Funken Weisse, Un Poquito Wylde
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog
Homebrewtastic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maple Bacon Porter BigDaddyBrewing Recipes/Ingredients 29 11-05-2013 10:17 PM
Bacon Porter Help? pingwin77 Recipes/Ingredients 8 05-02-2012 03:43 PM
mmm bacon.... omggaybacon Recipes/Ingredients 26 04-22-2011 07:08 PM
Bacon! JRdaSconnie Recipes/Ingredients 5 03-31-2011 10:49 AM
How to get the bacon flavor in my Wake'n Bacon Breakfast Stout pennisim Recipes/Ingredients 9 03-30-2011 03:43 PM