LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
m_c_zero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default Bacon Porter

I know this has been talked about many many many times on this forum, though I think the idea of using real bacon in a beer is a bit strange. I think going a different route would work much better. Here's my idea...

I'd like to go with a brewer's best kit ingredient list for a base. I'm looking at the smoked porter. It calls for:

6.6 lb Porter LME
1 lb smoked grains
8 oz chocolate grains
8 oz caramel grains
1.5 oz bittering hops
.5 oz aroma hops
and then of coarse yeast

Here's where I'd like to mix it up a bit. There is a bacon syrup out there used for flavoring coffee and what not. I'm thinking I could substitute some of the malt extract with the syrup. Here's the link to the syrup:

http://www.torani.com/products/bacon-syrup

Each 750ml bottle has around 475g of sugar. From what I'm seeing, I think 2 bottles of this stuff would give it enough of a bacony flavor, so I'm looking at 950g of sugar content from the syrup. My question is this, how much extract should I take away from the original recipe? Also, I know this syrup isn't natural and probably has a bunch of artificial crap in it, anything I should be worried about?

Anyhow, before I start this madness, I would like to get ahold of a bottle and mix some of the syrup in with a similar beer to make sure it is not god aweful. If it's not, then most likely I will be starting this brew within a few weeks. Let me know what you guys think!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

awesome- maybe ill try this in my bacon banana peanutbutter elvis beer since actual bacon didint seem to work as well....awesome! Let us know how this comes out!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
bambam190
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That seems like alot of extract, you might want to cut down to 1 bottle

Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

damnit there sold out of the syrup-it's a limited production run....figures waiting on a call back from the company to see when they can make more

Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam190 View Post
That seems like alot of extract, you might want to cut down to 1 bottle
Yeah, it probably is, but here's what I'm thinking:

Their website recommends 1/2 to 1 oz of syrup for 6 to 8 oz of beverage. You figure there's 640 oz in 5 gallons. These bottles are 750 ml, so that's roughly 25 oz. If you go with the 1/2 oz per 6 oz, one bottle is enough flavoring for 300 oz of beverage, hence 2 bottles being enough for around 600 oz of beverage.

I think, and I could be dead wrong here, that if you just used 1 bottle, you'd lose a lot of the flavor during primary fermentation, which was when I was thinking of putting in the syrup. Just my opinion. Again, I'm going to have to see if I can find a bottle of this stuff to try it out to begin with.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
damnit there sold out of the syrup-it's a limited production run....
Awww, ****ty. Figures. I had found a website that stated they had some in stock yesterday, but looking at it now the website is down. Here's the site just in case it does come back up and they do have some in stock:

http://alottacoffeebeans.com

Just leave me two bottles :P

Last edited by m_c_zero; 04-29-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Website listed above seems to be back up and it's not showing sold out, so may be a glimmer of hope there... I don't have the monies on me now so not able to actually purchase any at the moment.

Last edited by m_c_zero; 04-28-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
bambam190
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_c_zero View Post
Yeah, it probably is, but here's what I'm thinking:

Their website recommends 1/2 to 1 oz of syrup for 6 to 8 oz of beverage. You figure there's 640 oz in 5 gallons. These bottles are 750 ml, so that's roughly 25 oz. If you go with the 1/2 oz per 6 oz, one bottle is enough flavoring for 300 oz of beverage, hence 2 bottles being enough for around 600 oz of beverage.

I think, and I could be dead wrong here, that if you just used 1 bottle, you'd lose a lot of the flavor during primary fermentation, which was when I was thinking of putting in the syrup. Just my opinion. Again, I'm going to have to see if I can find a bottle of this stuff to try it out to begin with.
I'd consider adding it after fermentation before you keg/bottle. The extracts that I have used that is what I did, then it didn't get overpowering.

I think I'd suggest experementing with a a beer and adding the flavor per glass until you like the mix. Then going back and calculating out how much you want.

I'll be watching 'cause I wanna try it to.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Only thing I'm worried about adding the extract before bottling is the sugar content in it. Again, each bottle of extract has 475g of sugar. The recommended amount of priming sugar is 3/4 cup, which translates to roughly somewhere around 100g. I'm afraid if I were to add the extract in before bottling that I would have bottles exploding all over the place. I really don't want to cut back on using any less than 1 bottle of the syrup per 5 gallons because I definitely want the bacon flavor to really shine through, not just be an afterthought.

I definitely want to pick up a bottle of this stuff and sample it with some beers to know what I'm working with. Hopefully I'll be able to get ahold of one in a week or so...

Old 04-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
scinerd3000
Recipes 

if it was me i would fill a growler with the fermented beer as a sample batch and scale down the amount of bacon syrup to be acceptable for that small volume. let if ferment as a small secondary and see how much of the flavor comes out. If your going to bottle with ther syrup i would NOT also add priming sugar or your asking for bottle bombs as that stuff will almost surely ferment completely out

Quick Reply