Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Aztec Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
kickin' this thread back up cause the more I have thought about it the more interested I am. I just had a dark chocolate and chili bar and it was good. A little too subtle on the chili but it reminded me of this thread.
Best chocolate bar.....EVER!

Quote:
Chipotles are great. They are smoked red jalapeños I believe. I am not as familiar with ancho peppers but I think they would be a good one to explore as well. More akin to the theme you are going for.
All a chipotle means is a smoked pepper. It could be a Jalapeno, it could be a Cayenne, it could even be a Bhut Jolokia. Generally speaking, generic Chiptoles are smoked, ripe Jalapenos.

Ancho's are ABSOLUTELY fantastic especially if paired with cocoa.

Quote:
You could also infuse the peppers in some grain neutral spirits like vodka to extract the essence and add that to the ferementer or straight to the keg (or bottling bucket). It would only be like a cup or less we are talking about.
Finlandia vodka is one of the best vodka's for pepper infussion.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #22
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post

Finlandia vodka is one of the best vodka's for pepper infussion.
I dunno, I am inclined to agree with Randy Mosher that the cheapest rutgut vodka you can find is the perfect media for infusion. It does not matter the quality of the alcohol as you are only interested in extracting the flavor components of the ingredients, this case hot peppers. I dare you to try and tell me you can taste the difference in the vodka in a hot pepper extract! You would have some SERIOUSLY sensitive tastebuds there!

Having done more investigation I agree about the ancho peppers, though admittedly I have only done reading and not first hand tasting. From what I have read they can have a chocolaty flavor heat to them.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Last edited by Zymurgrafi; 12-27-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #23
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

I suppose only first hand experience will tell but I have found some more tips.

On the one hand according to Mitch Steele of Stone they added cacao nibs to the boil for chocolate and bitterness. According to a recipe on the Maltose Falcons website, the brewer their suggested that boiling cacao was detrimental to the head retention and such and suggested adding cacao nibs to the secondary for a cold infusion.

Maybe infusing them with the peppers would be a good route as well.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #24
Gordie
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
On the one hand according to Mitch Steele of Stone they added cacao nibs to the boil for chocolate and bitterness. According to a recipe on the Maltose Falcons website, the brewer their suggested that boiling cacao was detrimental to the head retention and such and suggested adding cacao nibs to the secondary for a cold infusion.
The thing to be worried about with head retention is the cacao butter and oils. the nibs are pretty low to negligible in the fats so boiling them probably wouldn't add much. Actually taking cacao and adding to the boil would be a substantial addition of fat. Not sure if the Maltose recipe made a distinction between boiling cacao and boiling cacao nibs but I'd still feel confident about head retention after adding nibs. They're pretty dry. Eat one. Kinda like bitter brown grape nuts.

I'm doing something similar and for the peppers I'm planning on roasting some anchos and pureeing them in vodka and letting them sit a while before straining. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see what happens... if it works out I'll give a shout out with the recipe.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #25
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I dunno, I am inclined to agree with Randy Mosher that the cheapest rutgut vodka you can find is the perfect media for infusion. It does not matter the quality of the alcohol as you are only interested in extracting the flavor components of the ingredients, this case hot peppers. I dare you to try and tell me you can taste the difference in the vodka in a hot pepper extract! You would have some SERIOUSLY sensitive tastebuds there!

Having done more investigation I agree about the ancho peppers, though admittedly I have only done reading and not first hand tasting. From what I have read they can have a chocolaty flavor heat to them.
I do have some seriously well tuned buds when it comes to pepper product. I'm a well known professional reviewer in the Firery Foods Industry

Oh ya, and here's a link to one of my reviews that I did with said Infused vodka.

The reason Finandia was chosen is because it's not so much of a harsh vodka which allows the pepper to shine through much easier.

Ancho's are pritty mild when it comes to heat so I say just skip out on the infusion and use the whole pods (if using dry pods, rehydrate them in boiling water for 5-10 minutes). Yes they do have a nice chocolate like flavor to them. Ever have Dogfish Head Theobroma? Boom, Ancho peppers, no heat.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 12-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #26
BrewMunster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
You could get some Cayenne peppers and roast them for a smokey flavor. The problem is I don't know how easy it is to find fresh cayenne pepper right now but I know they roast up really nice.

To get a little more flavor instead of hotness carefully seed the peppers and just use the flesh part in the secondary.

Another idea is to make a strong tincture using cayennes to try and capture the flavor. Anyone know if this might help preserve the flavor long term?

I'm just tossing idea about since I'm mentally working on a Jalapeno beer recipe that a friend has been hinting I make for her.
Sounds like it would add more flavor than just the powder, But i wonder about the oil from the peppers. I kinda remember reading something about staying away from putting oils in the beer ruining it, but i could be wrong. Anyone else hear of something like that?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #27
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMunster View Post
Sounds like it would add more flavor than just the powder, But i wonder about the oil from the peppers. I kinda remember reading something about staying away from putting oils in the beer ruining it, but i could be wrong. Anyone else hear of something like that?
I can only speak to my own experience with using peppers, chocolate & cocoa in the kettle on my brew where it did take longer for the beer to actually develop a decent head...but none of these ingredients ruined the beer.

As far as tinctures go (and liquor used for flavor additions), I pref to stick with vodka that I would drink but I don't waste top shelf liquor.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #28
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
I do have some seriously well tuned buds when it comes to pepper product. I'm a well known professional reviewer in the Firery Foods Industry
I retract my challenge and bow to your superior buds.

Actually I bow to just about anyone else's taste buds considering how jacked mine are. I never know from day to day whether they are working properly or not. Damn medications!

The reason I suggested an infusion to begin with was a way to add the flavor and heat without throwing the peppers directly in and causing ptotential contamination. Though I suppose with a high gravity beer the alcohol would make that less likely.

Again, disclaimer here. I am merely speculating and supposin'

I have no practical experience in the use of peppers, cacao or the brewing of Imperial stouts.

I just like the idea.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #29
Trex_Trev
Recipes 

It sounds awesome i would like to point out that aztecs didn't really believe the world was going to end.Simply it was just the dawning of a new age. Also 2012 by their calender which had no leap year. So your missing like 400 days so sometime in 2011 will be the end lol.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 AM   #30
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The recipie im considering now is as follows:

6 gallon batch.

30lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs chocolate malt
1.5 lbs 150l crystal
1 lb roasted rye
1 lb special b malt

4 oz columbus @ 60 min
1 oz columbus @ 15 min
1 oz columbus @ flameout

1.5 lb unsweetened cocoa powder @ flame out
1/2 tbsp powdered cayenne @ flame out
1/2 tbsp powdered ancho @ flame out

If the pepper or chocolate is not enough when I transfer to secondary, I will put more in, perhaps in the form of fresh peppers.

I will pitch a massive starter of wyyeast 1272 and let that ferment out as far as it will take me. If, Upon tasting it when fermentation completely halts, I find it too sweet, I will pitch a slurry of Lavalin EC-1118 to eat more of the simple sugars.

Quick Reply