Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Aztec Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I totally second the pepper into the bottle. I think that the cayenne itself will fall out of the flavor over the years. Cheat that cayenne though, add some to the boil and then taste after primary and add more in secondary. If you toast the cayenne in a saute pan for a couple of minutes prior to adding it you will get that nice toasted robust flavor you are looking for. You might think about taking the peppers and tossing them into some boiling water for sanitation and to soften them into the bottles. Try a test with some Ancho as well as Chipotle if you want a little more heat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

The HEAT from the chili pepper will go away, but not the flavor, over time that is. In my experience, YMMV.

+1 on Ancho

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
As to the pepper I can't help much. Never played with them in beer though I love hot peppers. If you are going to bottle it maybe stuff a whole pepper into each bottle?
If you do that it'll make the beer pritty spicey. Capsaicin is alcohol saulable and will therefore extract into the beer making it hotter and hotter over time. Plus I've done that before and there is a definit increase of heat over time.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 12-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #14
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So the general opinion seems to be fresh peppers rather than powder, I guess Ill see about getting some, would I add them at flame out or in the boil or what? chop them up tiny or just slice em down the middle?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
So the general opinion seems to be fresh peppers rather than powder, I guess Ill see about getting some, would I add them at flame out or in the boil or what? chop them up tiny or just slice em down the middle?
When I made my chili-beer, we boiled them in water for about 5 or 10 minutes, let them cool, and them pitched it into th efermentor with the wort. You could rack it off the pepeprs after about a week if you want, but we just kept them in there until bottling time. also, we did slice them down the center to allow the goodness to escape into the beer.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've commented before on the use of peppers and I did a similarly themed beer not too long ago w/ peppers added in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Next time I use peppers, I would dry pepper the beer rather than use them in the boil. I found that the heat was different than what I wanted and started more in the back of your throat.

I used chocolate, cocoa, ground cloves, cinnamon and vanilla for spicing the brew. Between the pepper heat and any additional spices, be prepared for the beer to take a little while for the flavor to come together.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im gonna wait 4 years, so taking a while to come together is not a problem.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would up the chocolate to 2# and keep the rest of the grainbill the same. For RIS you want 10% of the grainbill to be roast malt, and since you said you wanted chocolate, I think you should go for more.

As for the hops I would do 4@60, 1@15, 1 to dry hop. This beer will be aged so long the hop character will fade out anyway, and the hops will help to preserve the beer for extended storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #19
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I would up the chocolate to 2# and keep the rest of the grainbill the same. For RIS you want 10% of the grainbill to be roast malt, and since you said you wanted chocolate, I think you should go for more.

As for the hops I would do 4@60, 1@15, 1 to dry hop. This beer will be aged so long the hop character will fade out anyway, and the hops will help to preserve the beer for extended storage.
While I haven't aged a bier for 2+ years... YET! I find the above advice to be as good as you'll ever get! I toast you and your advice Psycharomyces! (he he Couldn't resist making your username a little Psycho!)

As for the bier, I LOVE spicy food, it's a staple down here! I mean heck we're having ribs for Christmas (as we do every Thanksgiving or Christmas for 10 years now)! As for pepper flavored biers, I've only had Rouge's Chipotle Ale and find it too harsh for my pallet. The first bottle I tried had interesting underlying notes of spice and heat, with a distracting grainy/grassy flavor. The second was way too spicey to enjoy, just plain out hot and overpowered any other flavors. So I'd say go heavy on the ancho powder, maybe even add chili powder, perhaps hungarian paprika which is smokier! Hey you could even a couple oz. smoked malt for further complexity!

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #20
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

kickin' this thread back up cause the more I have thought about it the more interested I am. I just had a dark chocolate and chili bar and it was good. A little too subtle on the chili but it reminded me of this thread.

I would not recommend chili powder because it is a blend of seasonings. Garlic, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, cumin and oregano.

I like the idea of smoky type peppers alot more than cayenne. I really do not find cayenne to be very flavorful personally. It is more about heat. Chipotles are great. They are smoked red jalapeños I believe. I am not as familiar with ancho peppers but I think they would be a good one to explore as well. More akin to the theme you are going for.

I think this one will require some playing around to find the right methods as there are a lot of variables here. Bitterness from the chocolate, or straight cacao nibs which I still promote. The flavor and heat of the peppers and how/when to add them...

Perhaps make a 5 gallon batch but divide it into 1 gallon fermenters and play with adding things differently.

You could also infuse the peppers in some grain neutral spirits like vodka to extract the essence and add that to the ferementer or straight to the keg (or bottling bucket). It would only be like a cup or less we are talking about.

I looked up xocoatl and cachuatl which were the traditional drink mixtures of the Mayans and Aztecs respectively for some ideas. They were mixes of cacao and chilies drank cold. According to some sources they suggest they incorporated vanilla beans as well. Sometimes honey and corn meal (flaked corn adjunct?) This could get really complicated but also be really amazing if blended just right so nothing was too in your face but still distinguishable.

Of course DFH has already jumped on it. I have not seen it but read about a beer they have made/are making called Theobroma based on the ancient drink mixtures. Though I do not think it is a stout.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Quick Reply