Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Award Winning Homebrew Recipes on Popular Mechanics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
chrispykid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default Award Winning Homebrew Recipes on Popular Mechanics

Hey guys,

I've been a regular lurker and an intermittent poster here for a few years now and have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to do some freelance beer/homebrew writing for major publications from time to time. I do write beer reviews for Mens Journal and homebrewing and DIY projects for Popular Mechanics. Several of these features have involved collaborating with (and crediting) members of this forum for their recipes and ideas so I hope that it's ok with the moderators that I'm using this space to schill for another project I just put together.

For this piece I collected 10 recipes that have won awards at BJCP competitions over the past couple years. All the recipes came from members of my local club, the New York City Homebrewers Guild. Each recipe includes some notes given by the judges and there are some really great tips from the brewers in there as well.

Anyway I thought some of you guys might be interested: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-1

Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

6 different hops in that IPA...... way different than my IPA philosophy.

But then again, 1st place @ NHC vs nothing from me

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

very cool....

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 08-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
mtyquinn
Brewer / Designer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i might try that ESB recipe. Never used Carahell before.

"studiopub" for 10% off Grog Tag

Old 08-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Nice, thanks for posting!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
chrispykid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
6 different hops in that IPA...... way different than my IPA philosophy.

But then again, 1st place @ NHC vs nothing from me
RHamilton, there's lots to be said for keeping hop bills simple. Most of my IPA recipes usually call for just one or two varieties as well.

That having been said, Fritz is the go to guy for advice about IPA recipes and techniques in our club. That wasn't his first award by a long shot and he regularly shows up at our meetings with crazy hop bombs.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Question.. you mention in the Glossary about adding malt extract at the beginning of the boil to adjust SG up. I've never made a gravity check at the beginning of the boil because it changes so much at the end.

Help clarify.. thanks.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
chrispykid
Recipes 

Apologies for not tracking this thread more closely Hbgbill. I recommend measuring both pre and post boil gravity with every brew. The idea is to aim for a repeatable process. Ideally you're boil off rate should be constant from batch to batch and the difference between the pre-boil gravity and post boil gravity will always change by the same amount with each boil assuming boil time is the same. If you know that you missed a target gravity at the beginning of the boil it's pretty simple to correct by adding either water or DME to get you back on target.

Quick Reply