Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > An attempt at making chocolate malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
jkpq45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default An attempt at making chocolate malt

So I tried my hand at roasting my Rahr 2-row into something for my stout--chocolate malt. My results were mixed.

I roasted 1.5 lb in a glass loaf pan in the oven at 400 degrees. I started the grain in a cold oven. Stirred every 10 minutes or so until past the 40 minute mark, then kept stirring every minute or so. I heard the chaff/husk popping off the grains like popcorn. Odd thing is in the oven, the husk didn't change color but the inner grain turned almost black. A bit of smoke, but man the grain tastes good!

I then tried my hand in a cast iron pan over high heat (33.5Mbh) on the gas cooktop. Stirred constantly, this method produced a darkened husk very rapidly. Eight or so minutes into the process I pulled half the grains out (after grinding, this appears the same as the oven-roasted malt). I let the rest go for another 5 minutes or so until it smoked heavily. I stirred the whole time it was cooling down, too.

What I can tell is that the grain from the oven didn't taste as good as the 8-minute cooktop version, but the 13-minute cooktop version had a heavy roasted/almost burned flavor (think espresso roast instead of city roast).

So what did I make? Chocolate malt? Black patent? Pile of crap I need to throw in the trash? Pile of stuff I need to mash and ferment?

Any criticism on the process? I think I'll try the cooktop version again on lower heat, but I'm not sure if browning the husk will help the flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have but limited experience making malts at home (I tried making brown malt, but then I gave up and bought brown malt).

The cast iron pan idea is probably the right material to use since cast iron can "hold" a lot of heat. However, cast iron is almost always (i.e. should be) treated with a layer of oil to prevent rusting. I don't know if some of this would absorb into the malt and kill your head, but it might be something to think about.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i vote for mash it and see what happens...

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 05-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
jkpq45
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mashed in my RIS. Hit my color, looks really nice. I'll update on flavor.

Quick Reply