Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Arrogant Bastard Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #31
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Tasting follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewenstein View Post
Brewed this recipe a month ago. Hit all the numbers spot on. Bottled today. WOW! Tasted awesome. I had AB on tap a week ago, and if my memory is correct, this tasted just like it. I bought a bottle of AB today so that I can do a side-by-side in a couple of weeks once mine carbs up. I will try to post a follow up once I do the comparison.
Well, I finally got around to tasting this beer against the real AB. Color was spot on. The head on the clone appeared to be lighter in color, but otherwise looked the same. The taste between the two was different. The real AB tasted like it had centennial hops in it. I did not pick up on that before, but side by side I definitely noticed it. (I have seen some clones that use centennial in it.) That is not to say that this beer is inferior in any way. In fact, the friend that I was tasting with, and myself, both preferred this beer to the real thing .

I will definitely brew this again, and I will use this recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #32
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

I was short on crystal 120 so i subbed a few oz with german caramunich,i also used wlp005 british slurry. I also mashed lower due to the wlp005's attenuation so i hope i balanced that. Otherwise i hit everything pretty spot on.I think i might oak this, i liked the AB oaked more but not shure if it was a different gravity,grainbill etc. I really hope i hit the FG though!
Thanks for the recipe Yooper, ill try to post back how it turned out.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #33
jonmohno
Recipes 

Just a follow up on how awesome this turned out. Brilliant clear reddish color.
Mouthfeel was full body very creamy great head and lacing,aroma was to live in,didnt seem as robust but bittering was perfect and malt was slightly sweeter,with a more distinct yeast character.Definatly turning out to be a great beer,think ill conditon it a few more weeks then cellar it. I think i would proudly offer this to friends and family.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #35
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I just did this in a partial mash with a FWH addition on the Chinook. Here is the recipe.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 45.3 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.8 %
1.75 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 4 49.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 5.5 IBUs
5 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 6 37.7 %
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.076 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.4 %
Bitterness: 89.0 IBUs Calories: 245.0 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 29.5 SRM

Mashed at 152 for 60 and boiled for 90.

It's been in primary for a couple of weeks so it will be at least a month before I get a taste. I have done AB clones before with the harshness from the Chinook so I am hoping that the FWH might tone it a bit. I'm looking forward to this one.

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #36
jonmohno
Recipes 

I just did a side by side tasting with a AG bomber that was best by 12-11 and a chilled two weeks my Organic British Bastard i made . I thought i had a fresher AB bomber but didnt.Oh well i dont consider mine too fresh anymore either.Think i should have chilled them all about 3 weeks ago.

I preferred the aroma of the AB(had a candied -Malt? hop aroma) but i had a bit more carbonation and and better creamy head retention.But i prefered the smoother more balanced maltier taste that the wlp005 briitish gave,not that i dont like the robust dry pineyness of the AB and the lingering grassy bittering. I didnt get a grasssy lingering bittering but it did have a nice bittering finish.I like the AB but this being past the best by date one had a spent yeast taste somewhat, unfortunatly.

My hop aroma had subsided alot after a few more weeks but it left the aroma of the yeast wich was a sweet kindof orange mild breadyness. I harvested the yeast i used for this for the first time after dryhopping a previous batch(yeah- i dont know why i harvested yeast after dryhopping- i have since been secondary dryhopping to harvest the yeast) but that sweet citrus orange character aroma (maybe from the yeast harvested after dry- hops) has shown in all the beers i made with it.It got a bit annoying. I definatly will enjoy drinking/sharing the rest of these though although i wish i had refrigerated them a bit sooner. Well duh,right?

I didnt get as much spicyness as the AB also.I guess i wouldnt call mine more robust like the AB,more smooth/malty/easier drinking maybe(slightly lower abv also) so i guess each would have its better day and enjoy them both but i would try to use the orgional yeast next time probably. Its funny how one thing can change the whole taste really and change the character.From my short and minimal experiece doing clones,it seems you have to be pretty damn close with everything,everything.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #37
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

A little birdie told me AB is actually not all CHinook at this point.

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #38
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421 View Post
A little birdie told me AB is actually not all CHinook at this point.
What exactly did this little birdie tell you?

I just brewed this again this morning, following Yooper's recipe again. It was great last time, and I am looking forward to it again.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #39
brewbeerry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

brewed small batch of this on 10/8/12 and just cracked 1st one open tonight (2 weeks in bottle). its already amazing! used 92% briess 2 row and 8% special b- starts off with a kick from the piney/resinous hops, blending to malt, then caramel/raisin, and ends with hops lingering on tongue and lips. I added FWH and additions at 55, 15, and 0, only boiling 70 mins.

Next time will forgo the FWH, collect enough for 90 min boil and follow listed hop schedule to get more bite from the hops- mine is mellow now and definitely could see some more hop character. i cant wait to see how this changes with time but am surprised how good it is only 2 weeks conditioning. really mellow and drinkable for being 7.8% abv and so young. thanks for the recipe! definitely going to get on rebrewing this soon...

arrogant-bastard-clone-488x650-.jpg   arrogant-bastard-lace-488x650-.jpg  

Old 11-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #40
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What do you guys think of throwing in .5 lbs of roasted barley, .25 lbs of chocolate malt, some cascade at 20, and some at dry hop, turning this into a grapefruit pine forest of a black ipa, Cascadian dark ale?

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Quick Reply