Aromatic malt in a Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichthy

Reaction score
Trying to come up with a dubbel recipe and am curious as to how much of the grain bill people make up with belgian aromatic? I saw a recipe that used nearly 50% of the malt bill as aromatic.

As of now my recipe looks like

9 lbs pils
3 lbs munich
0.5 lbs caramunich 60
1 lbs aromatic
1 lb amber candi sugar
4 oz special b

What about subbing out a couple lbs of pils for some aromatic? I don't want this too sweet and plan on hopping to 30IBUs.

Aromatic is my go-to in almost all of my recipes, it really compliments any grain bill with .25 or .5 lb addition. Personally I think I would trade some Aromatic with some special B, maybe 12oz and 8oz, but that is just me. There is nothing wrong with your recipe, it will probably just come out with a little higher FG than what you would initially expect.

Why are you guys recommending no more than 1lb. Is it too sweet in the final product? Or will the beer be overly malty and not balanced enough?

Thanks for replies thus far.

Many people would consider it to come out too malty. Aromatic malt does exactly what the name implies, gives the beer a heavy malt smell, but it is also reflected in the taste. There are some threads on an all aromatic SMaSH. Those should let you know what a lot of aromatic will do, I don't mean that in a bad way, I just don't remember reading what the outcome was.

If you do I recommend to find a yeast strain that is highly attenuating.

Back