The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Apple Pie in a bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

i'm no expert on whether the apples should be in secondary or in the mash or what, but i agree with baking them - partial caramelization of their sugars should help. To that end, it might make sense to bake them in something non-stick so you can get all the goodness. it will also break down the cell walls and make the sugars easier to ferment (and the flavors easier to dissolve).

You should core the apples. There are bad things in apple seeds.

The cinnamon at 4oz of stick may be too much. If we're talking about hard cassia cinnamomum aromaticum bark, it's flavors are very soluble in alcohol. You might want to do some more research on the amount and type of cinnamon used in spiced beers.

fwiw true brown sugar is manufactured by spinning cooked cane juice in a centrifuge-like device, and as such it's major constituents are sugar and molasses. In baking i vociferously advocate real spun brown sugar because it's crystals are long and needly and have physical properties that are critical during the mixing stage - but added to wort you may as well use molasses for the flavor.

A cup of brown sugar is basically equivalent, chemically speaking, to 1 cup of table sugar (granular white sucrose) and 1 tablespoon of molasses, fwiw.

Last edited by TimpanogosSlim; 05-02-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You'll want some tartness in there. Pie apples are tart. What you have right now is a recipe for applesauce beer. You're on the right track with cinnamon, and you might consider adding a little vanilla.

Cascade Barrel House in Portland made a sour beer called Apple Pie, and I couldn't believe how much it tasted like pie. I believe that beer was barrel aged with Granny Smith apples.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 05-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Well it took a bit, but now you have some people here that actually sound like they have a clue. Glad I could help. Hehe

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
tmags711
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the answers y'all.

I'm definitely gonna switch over to a 50/50 Maris and 2-Row base with some Victory and Specialty malts.

As for the apples I am going to stick with cooking them before, then see how it tastes after primary. If the apples are too weak then I will rack over some more in secondary. Spices will be interesting, I will do some more research on amounts.

I'll post my final grain bill when I have time to brew this in a couple weeks.

That beer tasted like another....

Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Channel66
error 404 channel not found
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1048 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 94

This sounds wonderful to me. let us know how it goes?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
Coopmiami
Recipes 

Ill try to remember the recipe but my colleges homebrewing team made an applejack ale that when we were making it, smelled the like whole floor was eating a bowl of apple jacks. It was ****ing awesome

Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
BeerChef17
Recipes 

personally I would roast 1# of apples in the oven coating them with a little sugar until they are soft and add that to the mash to help get a nice mouth feel out of them. Add cinn, nutmeg, and a touch of clove at 5m.

Then when you transfer to secondary rack on top of some more apples. At this point I'd probably stick to fresh tart apples. Also when racking taste your hydrometer sample to gauge the spices. And add more into the secondary if you feel it needs them.

Oh another thought...at flame out (and into the secondary if needed) I would add 1oz vanilla extract

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Bonanza Weizen, Coffee Stout, Flying Dog IPA Clone, Momma K's Kream Ale

Next up: Smokey the Bear Honey Porter

Planning: Godzilla IIPA (Citrillo IIPA)

Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #18
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerChef17 View Post
personally I would roast 1# of apples in the oven coating them with a little sugar until they are soft and add that to the mash to help get a nice mouth feel out of them. Add cinn, nutmeg, and a touch of clove at 5m.

Then when you transfer to secondary rack on top of some more apples. At this point I'd probably stick to fresh tart apples. Also when racking taste your hydrometer sample to gauge the spices. And add more into the secondary if you feel it needs them.

Oh another thought...at flame out (and into the secondary if needed) I would add 1oz vanilla extract
So, I don't mean to start an argument, but I don't understand some of what you said and disagree with some more. What mouthfeel do you expect to get from baked apples in the mash? It sounds like extra work with no real payoff. I've learned to stay the heck away from clove in beer. Vanilla is super volatile and should go in secondary or at bottling. IMHO you're just wasting money adding extract to the boil.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You could always reference a Pumpkin recipe, kinda similar. Some of those mash with pumpkin.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #20
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Not very relevant but look at some of the ingredients registered on Hopville!

http://hopville.com/recipe/1344533/home-brew/wtf

Quick Reply