Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Apple Pie in a bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
tmags711
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Apple Pie in a bottle

Hi all,

I've been kicking around a recipe in my head for a while and finally put something together. I want to try to brew an apple pie ale. Basically, get the full flavors of a classic apple pie in a bottle. I know it sounds a little crazy, but I do like a challenge. I use Hopville's Beer Calculus to run my recipes, btw (http://beercalculus.hopville.com)

So, I'm brewing all grain, 5 gallons of wort, planning on collecting 6.5 gallons of wort. Brewhouse efficiency about 78%.

Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.017
Est. ABV: 6.3%

5 lbs Victory Malt
4 lbs American Two-Row Pale
.5 lbs Cara-Pils
.75 lbs Flaked Oats
.75 lbs Brown Sugar
4 baked apples (added @ 15 mins in boil)

1.5 oz Amarillo (AA 8.1%) @ 40 mins
.5 oz Amarillo (AA 8.1%) @ 10 Mins

4 oz Lactose Sugar in Primary, Ferment 14 days
4 oz Cinnamon sticks in Secondary 21 days

Pitch with WYeast American Ale II (1272)

Bottle

My hope is that the Victory malt adds a background buttery/nutty profile, the cinnamon catches on the nose, and the beer holds a solid flavor of apples and sugar. My goal with the oats and lactose is to give it a solid mouthfeel. I'm envisioning this as a fall beer, but expect it will need a couple months of bottle conditioning. I would love to brew this sometime in the next few months and then 'lose it' in the basement until fall.

Question #1: Is it redundant to use lactose and oats? I would prefer lactose for a creaminess (fingers crossed)

Question #2: Baking the apples will break down lots of the sugars. Will adding them towards the tail end of the boil be effective? Or put them in the Primary and ferment on top of them?

I have searched through the recipe forums and could not find a thread similar enough to answer all my questions. If I am repeating something obvious, my apologies, and please be generous with some wisdom.

So: Thoughts?

*If you aren't familiar, baked apples are whole apples cored and put in a pan with cinnamon, sugar, and water then baked in the oven for approx. one hour. Delicious

That beer tasted like another....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would go with raw apples in secondary to get the apple flavor or maybe even add apple juice. What is the Amarillo going to contribute? I would suggest a single 60 minute addition of Goldings to provide some bitterness but stay out of the way of everything else.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
tmags711
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I hadn't really considered the hops too much, I like the idea of some soft Goldings and then it hiding. I want to avoid apple juice because it's such a different flavor than you get in pie.

That beer tasted like another....

Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmags711
I hadn't really considered the hops too much, I like the idea of some soft Goldings and then it hiding. I want to avoid apple juice because it's such a different flavor than you get in pie.
It would ferment out almost entirely leaving behind some apple flavor. Crystal malt and spices are going to do the most for it.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

I'm no recipe master but I am thinking Crystal 40 & 60, Munich, Vienna, and Victory would all help out. Maybe Maris Otter for a base malt? Some wheat malt too?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
jacobg83
Recipes 

I would blend some apples into a sauce and brown them in some brown sugar and spices. Then add that to secondary. I would use some tart apples for more apple flavor. I've never done this myself. It's just what I would try. I may be wrong though.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
ISUBrew79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
I'm no recipe master but I am thinking Crystal 40 & 60, Munich, Vienna, and Victory would all help out. Maybe Maris Otter for a base malt? Some wheat malt too?
I second the use of Maris Otter as a base malt. It would really create a nice bready, crusty flavor without being too-over-the-top grainy. I tend to think that 5 lbs of Victory malt might be a bit much in a 5 gallon batch. I think it might make the beer too melanoidin-rich, like a Doppelbock made with a large proportion of dark Munich malt. You want a nice pie crust flavor that won't mask the apple and spice flavors. I think Maris Otter would work nicely, or you could try regular 2-row base malt, plus a couple pounds of light Munich and maybe a half pound of Victory. Just my 2 cents.
Bottled: Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

On Tap:
Keg 1: Belgian Table Beer
Keg 2: Belgian Tripel

Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
ISUBrew79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Apple Extract

I did a quick google search and came across this product. It is a natural apple extract. Adding something like this to the bottling bucket or keg would be a good way to add a prominent apple flavor.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Apple-Ext...f=pd_sbs_gro_2

This would probably provide more apple flavor than adding fresh or cooked apples to the fermenter. Maybe you could add both real fruit as well as fruit extract?

Bottled: Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

On Tap:
Keg 1: Belgian Table Beer
Keg 2: Belgian Tripel

Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Toast the oats and secondary the apples in whatever form you choose to use them. A brew pub near me makes exactly what you are describing, and calls it bonita applebaum. The place its called funky buddha. It its really good but a one glass beer in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #10
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Apple Pie is American

Dude way to much Victory --- biscuit malt going to taste like eating bread. Marris Otter is English and Apple pie is American. Apple pie needs to be American....... like this:

10 lbs American two row --- Briess Pale Ale preferable
1/2 lb special roast Briess (tangy sour dough -- crust flavor)
1 lb Caramel 80 (sweet caramel flavor rich and full of color)
1/2 OZ chocolate malt -- nice roasted taste but in the back ground
1 lb Victory -- here is the bread flavor give the apples some meat.

Columbus hops for bitter and Cascade for flavor aroma.

Last 5 min of boil add 3 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon clove, 1/4 nutmeg.

21 days primary. Rack to secondary over 1 lb green granny smith apples (peeled, pared and sliced) boiled in 8 qts. of water and 1/2 lb brown sugar. (Boil at least 15 minutes.)

May need to up up quantities for all the extra in secondary.... let sit at least 30 days.....

Man dude you got me thinking about 4th of July ....

Any way that's a rough sketch of where I would I start....

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quick Reply