Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Apple Ephemere Clone Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
gpogo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apple Ephemere Clone Attempt

This is my first attempt at formulating a recipe, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I figure Ephemere is essentially a Wit with Apple flavors.

Extract + Steeping grains
6.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 70.59 %
1.00 lb Pilsner DME
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1 gallon McIntosh Apple Juice Added into fermenter with wort after boil

Hops
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [12.30 %] (60 min) Hops 9.1 IBU

Spices
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Yeast
Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit

After I week I plan on taking a gravity sample to see how it is tasting, if there isn't enough green apple flavor my plan is to copy BYO's Jolly Rancher Apple idea. Essentially I'll take a pack of green apple candies and cook them in some water on the stove. Once it is all liquified and cooled I will rack the beer on top of this and keg.

Any suggestions?

Secondary 3 - Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange Mead(2.5 gal)
Secondary 4 -
Gallon Fermentor - Joe's Ancient Orange, Joe's Quick Grape Mead, Pomegranate Mead
Bottled/aging - Sunshine Wheat Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Hard Cider, Scotch Ale, Orange Blossom Sweet Mead
Coming soon... - Weizenbock, Belgian Wit, Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
big supper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've read that to make the most of the fruit flavor, you should add it to secondary instead.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I would add the fruit juice to secondary, maybe even consider some crushed fruit - like what is used in apple pies.
Also why are you using sorachi ace? I understand that they're high AA and thus can be used in small quantities, but it would be far more authentic to use saaz, fuggles, or something like that with lower AA.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
CADragon
Recipes 

so, did you ever go through with your recipe?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Stormrider51
Recipes 

Default Ephemere

I'm working on cloning Ephemere too. I started brewing about 6 years ago and have tried anything and everything that sounded good. I've come to especially like Belgian brews because of the "anything goes" attitude. When I discovered Ephemere I knew I had to clone it. I agree that it is basically a Belgian White with apples. With a little advice from Scott at Austin Homebrew I came up with the following recipe as a starting point:

1.25 lbs Belgian Pilsner, 1 lb White Wheat Malt, 0.5 lb Flaked Wheat

5 lbs Liquid Wheat Extract

1.5 oz Strissel Spalt Hops

0.5 oz crushed Coriander

0.5 oz Bitter Orange Peel

4.5 lbs Granny Smith Apples

White Labs Belgian Wit Ale yeast (WLP400)

The mini-mash steeping time is 45 minutes at about 155 F. Drain bag and sparge. Bring wort to boiling and add malt extract. Bring back to boil and add 1 oz Strissel Spalt hops. (Note: Boil is only 30 minutes.) At 15 minutes add Coriander and bitter orange peel. At 5 minutes remaining add 0.5 oz Strissel Spalt hops. Cool down, add water for 5.5 gal, pitch yeast, and seal it up.

I added the apples on Day 3 of primary fermentation. I peeled, cored, and diced the apples before putting them in a sturdy zip lock bag and partially freezing them. The partial freezing makes the next step easier. Crush the apple chunks, let them thaw completely, and add to the wort.

After primary and secondary time I kegged and force carbonated the beer. I ran out of the Scottish Ale that was occupying one half of my kegerator about a week later and the Ephemere clone took its place. In other words, I didn't give it a lot of ageing time!

Yesterday I filled a growler with the homebrew and bought a couple bottles of the real thing before heading off to the homebrew shop for a little comparison test. The consensus was that the real thing had more apple aroma and taste but my clone had more mouthfeel. All agreed that it was darned good beer. My wife said she likes my version better but then she is prejudiced.

I'm doing another batch today. All will be done the same until it comes to adding the apples. This time I will skip the freezing and crushing in favor of just making a puree in the food processor. I will also wait until I rack the beer over into the secondary before addig the apples. Wish me luck.

John

Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
GermanBlood
Recipes 

Stormrider - how did your last batch posted above turn out? I'm VERY curious as I've been searching for that "perfect" Ephemere clone... my family loves this beer so much we have been buying it by the case lately, after my failed Apfelwein attempt of cloning the beer... IMHO Apfelwein does not come close to Ephemere in depth and fullness of taste

Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I was at 2 Brothers Brewery awhile back.. I talked to the brewer about how they make their Avalon Apple Ale.

What he told me is that they actually ferment the apple juice first using champaigne yeast (probably EC-1118) then ad it to the ale.

Have you thought about doing that? Ferment a couple gallons of apple juice using EC-1118 and then ad it in the secondary. This will give it a more profound apple taste. If you put it in the primary, the apple flavor will get lost.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #8
Stormrider51
Recipes 

GermanBlood,
The second attempt didn't go well. Do NOT puree the apples! It tasted fine but I never got all the apple pulp out of it. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I think I need to figure out how to get the website to notify me when replies are made.

John

Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Agh... I'm hoping someone hits on a good recipe/process. My feeble attempt did NOT taste too good when it was racked.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #10
Stormrider51
Recipes 

Damonic,
Try the recipe I posted above. It's darned close.

John

Quick Reply