Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Apfelweizen!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Beer_me_plz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default Apfelweizen!

I am thinking about doing a new spin on the apfelwein recipe. I'm going to combine a three gallon weizen recipe with two gallons of apple juice and maybe, just maybe, some apple juice concentrate for higher ABV and more body.

I'm following the KISS principle so as not to over complicate things. It seems to have worked for Edwort and his apfelwein recipe! Tell me what you think or if you have seen and/or tried something similar. Thanks!

1 lb Carapils grain
3lbs Wheat DME (75%)
.5 oz Tettnanger hops (60 min)
.5 oz Tettnanger hops (4 min)
Crushed Coriander 1 oz (10 min)

(I used brewpal on my iPhone to formulate this recipe. It's fantastic but I can't figure out how to get the right measurements for apple juice.)

After the I get the wort in the primary I'm going to add the 2 gallons of apple juice and possibly the concentrate, depending on OG. I'm very undecided about the yeast. I'm thinking either the trappist high gravity yeast or just sticking with weihenstephan weizen, or german wheat. Any thoughts or recommendations would be great. I've been making wine for about 4 years but I am fairly new to beer so let me know if I'm way off on this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Interesting idea, sounds very tasty.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I like to make my apfelwein with WB-06 so that's my vote.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Schecter
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been toying with Apfelwein recipes for a while (Orange apfelwein, cinnamon spiced, etc...) but this has never crossed my mind. It does, however, sound down right delicious. I would think you'd want to stay with a yeast that won't ferment out all those tasty sugars from the apple juice, but as to which strain I have not a clue. Hell, I usually just throw my juice on top of a cake of whatever-the-heck-just-came-out-of-the-primary and see what happens; always comes out delicious but hey, I'm a rebel. I'd love to hear the end product of this, as I do enjoy my weizens...
Best of luck to ya.

Keg 1: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale
Keg 2: Jingaling (Yuengling clone)
Bottled: I keg...the hells wrong with you?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I looked into wb-06 and I'm really looking for something with a little more attenuation. I'm hoping to get in the 7-8% abv range. I'm going to try and get the supplies today. I usually get my stuff from a local guy who is a BJCP judge. I'll be sure to get his input.

One thing I was thinking about is how long do you think it'll take to hit its prime? Weizen is typically drank fairly young while they recommend six to eight month of aging for apfelwein. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used the WY-3068 Weihen strain once on 5 gallons of apple juice. Came out nice, sweeter than the usual wine yeast. Didn't quite have that true "hefe flavor" but I assume you would get more of that with actual wheat and barley sugars in there for the yeast to eat.

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Kampo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did something very simlar, and I loved it, its more cider than beer but adds just enough malty sweatness to make it a great drink.

my recipe:
3.3 Wheat LME
forget the hops now but it was half the hops from a brewers best weizenbier kit boiled first addition for 45min then the .25oz aroma hops I threw in at flame out
12 or so Cans Applejuice concentrate OG was 1.06 but I forget how many I added could be a couple more cans
Water to 6 Gallons

used the munich yeast that came with the brewers best kit, final gravity was 1.011 i beleave.

sorry not the most exacting recipe was more of a leftover brew to see what it would taste like, that and I kinda brew like I cook, little of this little of that with some rough calculations to make sure its not too out of balance.

If I did it again, I would add some carapils so i would have some head retention but beyond that very pleased with it, and saved a few bottles to get judged.

As far as if it can be drank young, it was good and carbed 1.5 weeks after bottling, and was ok. now 6 weeks after bottling it has improved quite a bit I just had one last night and its gotten way better, has some head now, doesn't stay long but its not just like fizzy BMC now lol....more I type this I may need to make this again only 3 bottles left 2 of which i want to send off to get judged lol

I brew like I cook....prolly won't be able to recreat anything I make but i'll try to improve on it

Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
rpg
Recipes 

Hey hey, I was just thinking about doing the same thing a few weeks ago! I haven't executed it yet, but I was planning something a little different. I wanted to keep the hops low and only use bittering hops so they won't interfere too much with the apple aroma and flavor. I was also thinking about using a cleaner yeast, like an American Wheat, for the same reason.

I also plan to shoot for a typical wheat beer gravity range.

I'm still undecided whether I'll use coriander or not.

If it helps any, I saw somewhere that someone measured some apple juice and got a gravity reading around 1.042. I'm not sure where I saw that tho. I'm sure that depends a lot on brand, variety, etc.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo
I used the munich yeast that came with the brewers best kit, final gravity was 1.011 i beleave.
That fg is a lot closer to what I want. I don't want too much residual sweetness. The SWMBO and I both aren't in to the sweet ciders. Thanks for the input. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

BTW I feel your pain. It's always bitter sweet opening the last bottle of a good batch! But just remember making it is half the fun right?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Kampo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me_plz View Post
That fg is a lot closer to what I want. I don't want too much residual sweetness. The SWMBO and I both aren't in to the sweet ciders. Thanks for the input. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

BTW I feel your pain. It's always bitter sweet opening the last bottle of a good batch! But just remember making it is half the fun right?
yup...just need more fermenters....SWMBO says I have taken up my alotment of basement space for my "mistress" she calls this hobby. maybe if I convince her I need another fermenter for a resieling she wants I can slip in an additional one.

but when I get some more space in my pipeline I think I may try another graff but more wintery and stouty since it will be fall by the time I have a spot open in my pipline it looks like lol. thinking of using the cherry pomegranent old orchard as the base (its mostly apple juice anyway looking at the ingrediants) and then something like 3 pounds DME and some specialty grains to give it kinda of a cherry stout color/taste

I brew like I cook....prolly won't be able to recreat anything I make but i'll try to improve on it

Quick Reply