New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Apfelwein help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
JPicasso
Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Apfelwein help

Uh oh.

So I'm brewing up a light ale with a buddy and decide to make use of some of the wine equipment that has been gathering dust in the basement. I know, Apfelwein!

I didn't want 5 gallons so I decided to make two 1-gallon jugs and spit the dry yeast between them. So I empty 1/2 a container of juice into the jugs and then mix in some sugar.

Here's where it went terribly wrong. I thought the bag of sugar in the cupboard was a 1 pound bag, so I figured we'd use about 1/2 the bag for both. So I proceed to add 2 CUPS(!!) of sugar to the apple juice. Turns out I used about 1.5 POUNDS of sugar for each GALLON of this stuff.

I just realized the error of my ways this morning. This has been fermenting since Sunday, is there any way to fix this? Can I cut each of the bottles by mixing with another gallon of just apple juice? making four gallons together?
I think the alcohol is going to be pretty high, and don't want the yeast to die out, making a sickly sweet, undrinkable beverage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
mw20
Recipes 

I don't know how your yeast will handle it, but, yeah, your gonna have a strong drink. Apfelwein gets me wrecked and that with 2 pounds of sugar in 5 gallons.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
JPicasso

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

So what I should probably do, is make up another 3 gallons w/o any sugar additions, and then when everything is done fermenting, mix them together and bottle.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3875 Times on 2830 Posts
Likes Given: 648

I'd mix it up now. You can just throw that stuff together in a bigger carboy now, so the yeast don't get too stressed by the high alcohol. Since it's only been going since Sunday, you can mix it now with no problems.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Whisler85
Recipes 

its like you made two perfect apfelwein starters for the big batch of apfelwein you always wanted to brew...

Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I'd mix it up now. You can just throw that stuff together in a bigger carboy now, so the yeast don't get too stressed by the high alcohol. Since it's only been going since Sunday, you can mix it now with no problems.
I am in a similar situation. I started a batch on Monday night but I didn't even realize that the wife picked up 2qt bottles not 1gal bottles. So after dumping everything in I then realized it was way too low. I then noticed that the bottles were only 2qts each. We did have some extra bottles for the kids so I dumped in all we had but its still about 3/4 a gallon short. So I just dumped the yeast in and was going to pick up some more AJ but then our son came into the world a little sooner than expected so I never added any more to it. So it would be ok to add more juice now or just let it go?

shat happens

Old 02-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
JPicasso

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyRyan View Post
So I just dumped the yeast in and was going to pick up some more AJ but then our son came into the world a little sooner than expected so I never added any more to it.
What does it take to run into the grocery store? like 5 mins? She couldn't wait?

Reminds me of the time when my wife was pregnant, and I stopped by blockbuster on the way to the hospital to drop off some movies. Boy, was she grumpy about that one.

Yes, I think I'll mix it all up together tonight.

Quick Reply