The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone used Lemon Balm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Anyone used Lemon Balm

I'm toying with making a light pale ale for summer. Maybe some Goldings hops, grains of paradise and some lemon.

I have some Lemon Balm growing in my back yard. Can that be used to add some lemon flavor. How much would I use and when would I add it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
Cap'n Jewbeard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Good question! I've been reading up on it a little bit, and it seems like it will add some lemon/citrus something to your beer, and it might give the impression of sweetness as well.

I wonder if boiling it might be a bad idea, either due to evaporating the citrusy essences or maybe making it overly bitter. Maybe you want to make a tea of it with hot water and add it to the wort a bit at a time?

(And actually, make a tea of it in the first place, just to sip, and verify you like the flavor/scent?)

Primary/Lagering: April-zen Festbier
Drinking: Starburn Spiced Amber
Drinking: Regulus Rye/Wheat with a bite
Drinking: George Takei's O My-bock

Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Current thoughts are to add at flame out and steep for 30 minutes. Quantity ...... ???????, maybe something like 4 ozs fresh leaves.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I added some to a hefeweizen for good effect. I put in ~10 chopped up leaves of it in the last 10 minutes of boil and it was really only noticeable if pointed out. It imparted a slightly tangy, almost minty aroma as well. Think "Key Lime pie" but dialed down a few notches. I will probably add more in the future to see if that impression pans out.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There are some recommendations in Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers, a good portion of dried can be added at 60 minutes or there is a recipe given that uses fresh tips during the ferment.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
VaBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I have been thinking of doing this too, I have a ton of this growing in my yard and some of the leaves are huge. I was thinking of soaking the leaves in iodafor or starsan to kill the bugs and then run through a sanitized food processor. Then add to secondary, maybe in a weiss or light pale ale. Sound good?

Kegged: Feast of Fools (Braggot), Drunken Punkin Dunkel, Raspberry Wheat, Chocolate Cherry Porter, Oktoberfestive ale, Apfelwien, Rochefort 8 Clone, Centennial Blonde, La Fin Du Pistoles, Surly Furious, Ryed On Saison, Celebrationizator Dopplebock, Ryebock, Lemon-Lime Hefe, Chamomile Honey Wheat, Blue Ridge Moon Wit, Patersbier,

Primary: Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, Cherry Brett Saison, Imperial Irish Red

Secondary: Gulden Draak, Peaches & Cream Belgian Tripel

Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
Calder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBrewer View Post
I have been thinking of doing this too, I have a ton of this growing in my yard and some of the leaves are huge. I was thinking of soaking the leaves in iodafor or starsan to kill the bugs and then run through a sanitized food processor. Then add to secondary, maybe in a weiss or light pale ale. Sound good?
Be careful the starsan/Idophor could take all the goodness out of them. Better to soak them in some vodka for a couple of days and add both the leaves and vodka to the brew. Obviously of adding during boiling, no sanitation is required.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
VaBrewer

Recipes 

Oh that's an awesome idea! That's what I will do. I plucked some today and it smells terrific, I just know if I can get the essence extracted it will taste awesome.

Kegged: Feast of Fools (Braggot), Drunken Punkin Dunkel, Raspberry Wheat, Chocolate Cherry Porter, Oktoberfestive ale, Apfelwien, Rochefort 8 Clone, Centennial Blonde, La Fin Du Pistoles, Surly Furious, Ryed On Saison, Celebrationizator Dopplebock, Ryebock, Lemon-Lime Hefe, Chamomile Honey Wheat, Blue Ridge Moon Wit, Patersbier,

Primary: Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, Cherry Brett Saison, Imperial Irish Red

Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
VaBrewer

Recipes 

Heres my go at a recipe:

Sweet Melissa American Blonde

10 lbs American 2 row
1 lb Carapils
1.5 oz Mt Hood 60 mins
1.25 oz Mt Hood 15 mins
.25 oz Cascade at flameout

Mash at 154 for 60

WLP001 or S-05

Rack to secondary
Add 10-15 Lemon Balm leaves that have been soaked in vodka

Thoughts?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default tasty brew

sounds tasty!

Looking forward to hearing how this one turns out!
--LexusChris

Quick Reply