Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone try a Belgian Partigyle? Here's my plan...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Anyone try a Belgian Partigyle? Here's my plan...

OK, I was thinking about a fun New Year's brew that I could do on Jan. 1 and keep until NYE next year, and I landed on a Belgian tripel. I'm only planning on doing 3 gallons of it, since I don't drink many dubbels and tripels. So now I'm thinking, what if I make a tripel with my first runnings, and a saison with my second and third runnings? I'll need to add some grain between batches, but here's what I've ginned up so far, using BrauKaiser's partigyle spreadsheet and Hopville (don't have Beersmith on the work computer!)...

Batch #1: Belgian Tripel, 3 gallons

I'm shooting for the following:
OG: 1.087
FG: 1.009
IBUs: 31.1

Mash:
8 lbs. Pils
.5 lbs Munich

Mash in 4.7 gallons at 150F for 90 minutes, I'm assuming about 68% efficiency on the first runnings.

Added in boil:
1.5 lb candi syrup
3 oz dark candi syrup

Hops:
.8 oz Styrian goldings @ 60 min
.3 oz Styrian goldings @ 30 min
.3 oz Styrian goldings @ 15 min

Primary ferment with WLP550 @ 66F for six to eight (?) weeks, possibly secondary, bottle condition for 9-10 months.

Batch #2: Saison, 5 gal

Again, shooting for:
OG: 1.05 or so
FG: under 1.009
IBUs: 36.4

Add to mashtun:
4 lb Pils
1 lb Munich
.5 lb Acid malt

Mash 3.8 gallons at 150F for 90 min, batch sparge with 3 gallons

Added in boil:
1/2 tsp Burton salts
1.5 lb clover honey
3 oz dark candi syrup

Hops:
.75 oz EKG @ 60 min.
.5 oz Styrian goldings @ 30 min.
.5 oz Styrian goldings @ 15 min.

Add 2 tsp. of coriander seeds at flameout

Ferment at 70F, raising slowly to 77F over three to five days. Primary for three or so weeks, secondary for a week.

This is still in rough draft form...I've only done one saison in the past, which I liked a lot, but I've never done a lot of Belgian styles, so any input would be welcomed. Anything that doesn't look right or you think could be improved, let me know.

Also, has anyone else ever done a Belgian partigyle like this? Results?

Cheers

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Fryrish
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am going back and forth on this idea myself. I want to do a 3 gal barleywine or tripel or something huge and take the second runnings and make a pottersbier for February drinking. So my biggest concern is yeast choice because to save money i want to use the same yeast starter (a huge starter). so do I make a barleywine with trappest ale yeast or go the full nine and do a tripel.

Primary:"The Desolation of Smaug" Barleywine Primary:"Bag End Bitter Hobbit Ale"
Primary: "Moriarty" Irish Stout
Keg:"Strength in Numbers" Choc Oatmeal Stout.
Munich Dunkel (1st lager)
Bottle:The Mellified Man(mead)

Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I feel like Belgians would be some of the best candidates for a parti-gyle... Even if you miss your anticipated OG you can still load it up with sugar to make up the points, or just call it something different.

I was about to ask why you're doing another mash with the saison rather than just simply capping the mash and sparging, but then I realized, if you're using the same kettle for both beers, adding base malt and doing another full mash is pretty ingenious.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
I feel like Belgians would be some of the best candidates for a parti-gyle... Even if you miss your anticipated OG you can still load it up with sugar to make up the points, or just call it something different.

I was about to ask why you're doing another mash with the saison rather than just simply capping the mash and sparging, but then I realized, if you're using the same kettle for both beers, adding base malt and doing another full mash is pretty ingenious.
That's part of the reason, plus I'd like to get a full five gallons of saison, which I'm not sure I could get from the initial grains if I'm just making 3 gallons of tripel. The other alternative would be to add more grains up front, drain enough of the first runnings to make my tripel and then use some of the remaining wort plus the sparge to get 5 gal of saison-strength wort. I suppose there's more than one way to skin a partigyle...
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Quick Reply