Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone tried Grape Juice and S-04?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #21
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I may be over thinking this. Still, if this tastes like concord wine I won't be making it again. I can't speak from experience, but it seems to me that letting the fermentaion complete and then back sweeteing will not taste as good as stopping the fermentaion. CvilleKevin is adamant that he is able to stop US-04 by racking and crash cooling. All I know is, I'd like to make a fermented juice drink that doesn't taste like wine. Apfelwein, to me, tastes like dry white wine. I want something different than that. Grape juice may not have been the best choice. Or maybe white grape juice would be better.

Last edited by BWRIGHT; 01-07-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #22
somecallmetim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A guy I know makes hard cider pretty much like apfewein, after fermentation he adds potassium sorbate then uses cans of frozen concentrate (he uses apple, you could use grape) to sweeten, He said 1 can per gallon, then force carb.

On Tap - Haus Ale, Baltic Porter.
Fermenting- SNPA Clone, Half Wit

Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #23
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I think you're going to run into problems with this if you really don't want it to taste like wine. Maybe instead of dextrose use DME so that you have some un-fermentable sugars in there. Fructose, sucrose and dextrose are very easily fermentable by yeast and the ingredients listed will give you a basic country wine.

Maybe you should look into meads, gruit, pyment, and braggots.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #24
T_Baggins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 262

all this talk about cold crashing and sorbate and cooled storage...is it all BS? really? I dunno...but I ferment to dry and dose with a lil ascorbic acid and bottle...no other additives and store on a cheesy rack on my kitchen counter. I do admit the longest I've been able to let a bottle age is 3 mos, but still no bottle bombs or cork rockets.

Quick Reply