Anyone made Jamil's Reprobate Stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm wondering how it turned out? It's his American Stout recipe in brewing classic styles. I know his recipes all turn out good but what was the beer like and did you like the recipe?? thanks.

Actually just made it for the second time. It's a delicious big bad roasty malt bomb! Make sure to use enough yeast. If it doesn't dry out enough its a meal and a half. My second batch finished at 1.020.. tastes a bit too big.
Anyway its a great mix of sweet crystal, huge hop bitterness, and big roasty.

Cheers! I'll have a bit of it now :)

i need to brew a stout. was thinking the obsidian stout from the CYBI.

can you someone post a link to this american stout of jamils from the original post?

Here's what I did.

30lbs 2 row
2lbs black roast barley
1.5lbs chocolate malt
1.5lbs crystal 40

3pks us-05

2 oz columbus @ 60
1.5 oz chinook @ 30
1.5 oz centennial @20
1.0 oz amarillo @ 15
1.0 oz amarillo @ 0

1.078 og

Here's what I did.

30lbs 2 row
2lbs black roast barley
1.5lbs chocolate malt
1.5lbs crystal 40

3pks us-05

2 oz columbus @ 60
1.5 oz chinook @ 30
1.5 oz centennial @20
1.0 oz amarillo @ 15
1.0 oz amarillo @ 0

1.078 og

Good lord. What size batch is this?? Not 5 gallon? 35 pound grain bill is obviously at least 10 gallon right?

Firing this up tomorrow. Do you think it would be fine to replace the Horizon with magnum since they are both high AA?? It's the 60 minute addition but I don't want it to have an effect on how this stout is supposed to turn out.

As long as I adjust the IBU's to match, would using magnum hops be fine you think??

hi all,

i've been looking for a recipe to brew my first stout. i made a stab at converting this recipe to my weyermann malts. can you please comment on it?

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 28,00 L      
Boil Size: 34,31 L
Estimated OG: 1,075 SG
Estimated Color: 38,3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 56,7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75,00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8,01 kg       Pale Malt (2 Row) (3,0 SRM)               Grain        85,71 %       
0,53 kg       Roasted Barley (300,0 SRM)                Grain        5,71 %        
0,40 kg       Caramunich II (40,0 SRM)                  Grain        4,29 %        
0,40 kg       Chocolate Malt (Homeroasted 200°C for 50 minutes) (450,0 SRM)    Grain        4,29 %        
30,00 gm      Centennial [10,00 %]  (60 min)            Hops         22,3 IBU      
25,00 gm      Chinook [13,00 %]  (30 min)               Hops         18,5 IBU      
25,00 gm      Centennial [10,00 %]  (20 min)            Hops         11,2 IBU      
15,00 gm      Amarillo Gold [8,50 %]  (15 min)          Hops         4,7 IBU       
15,00 gm      Amarillo Gold [8,50 %]  (0 min)           Hops          -            
0,37 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10,0 min)                Misc                       
2 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)      Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9,35 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 24,38 L of water at 74,4 C      67,8 C

thanks. i only have one package of us05, but plenty of us04. would it make sense to use 2x04 and 1x05?

So I just got back from purchasing the ingredients for this one. It calls for 14 grams of rehydrated yeast.

Would you just pitch two full packs or could this attenuate too much?? Maybe just shoot for around a pack and a half of S-05?? how would you handle this?

So I just got back from purchasing the ingredients for this one. It calls for 14 grams of rehydrated yeast.

Would you just pitch two full packs or could this attenuate too much?? Maybe just shoot for around a pack and a half of S-05?? how would you handle this?

I used 33 grams I'm sure you would be fine with 22.

Pat

So I'm firing this one up still tomorrow. Those that replied that have made this before, did you mash right at 154??? And if so, were you happy with the result?

Any last minute suggestions before I brew this bad boy tomorrow? Thanks.

Hey guys, how long did you leave this in the primary. I was going to give it a total of two and a half weeks and then bottle. What was your fermentation schedule with this American Stout?? Thanks.

Mine has been in the fermentor for a couple weeks but I did drop the trub twice now and I am dropping the temp down to 40 until I have some empty kegs. The sample I tasted was very good I might also dry hop this thing.

Pat

Hey guys, how long did you leave this in the primary. I was going to give it a total of two and a half weeks and then bottle. What was your fermentation schedule with this American Stout?? Thanks.

I left it in primary for 3 weeks, it had fully attenuated in about half that time with wlp 001 (3rd generation). I then kegged it and cold carbed for a week. It tastes great fairly young, but keeps getting better with age.

cheers

two and a half weeks is probably fine.
did you take gravity readings? what did it finish at and when?

I'm going to be brewing this as a partial mash in about two weeks. Right now I'm just trying to fight the urge to alter the recipe and hop the crap out of it. I figure that I should probably just brew it as is the first time.

Bottled this last night. My goodness does this one taste good. I have a feeling this will be a frequent flyer in my brewery:)

I made this yesterday. I overshot my gravity a bit, ending up with 1.076 but otherwise didn't deviate from the recipe (except for converting it to partial mash). I plan on doing three weeks primary and then straight to bottle. I've got really high hopes for this one.

I'm loving this beer right now. I only did 2.5 weeks in primary and went right to bottle. Awesome to have a hearty stout like this and a nice hop finish. Big fan of this style and I'll be brewing it again.

I love this beer too... and my last keg of it is about to kick! :( (did 10 gallons)
I am a type 1 diabetic and after the first sip, I knew this stuff was bad for me.. so I gave 1 whole keg to a buddy and kept the other. Regretting it now of course :)

If anyone has altered this recipe let us know. However it tastes stellar as it is!

Pro-tasting tip: Try this beer at about 60 degrees F. Or even close to room temp. Outstanding

I brewed mine on the Oct 17 and Kegged on Nov 13. As of right now it tastes strongly of acetaldehyde. Which is strange considering the time it spent in primary. Now I play the waiting game.

Wow! I'm drinking one of these right now and it's fantastic. I let it go four weeks in the primary and right now it's been bottle conditioning for 2. The citrus flavour from the Centennial is an awesome contrast against the roasted and chocolate malts. I highly recommend this recipe.

I have this in the fermenter right now. I made the following changes:

.5 lb Simpsons Black
.5 lb Simpsons Chocolate

because I had both on hand.

1 oz Willamette 4.9% pellets for 30 min.

With a mini-mash of the grains, I ended up with 5.5+ gallons of OG 1.091.
There was about 1/4 gallon of blowoff loss. I'm going with some Fermcap-S next time.

On a happier note, I was able to cool the 4 gallon boil from boiling to 80F in 20 minutes in only an ice bath.

I'm looking to brew this soon, but i've got a couple of hop substitution questions. I don't have horizon, could I bitter with willamette and adjust the IBUs? I also have a lot of northern brewer and EKG, but I wanted to keep the hops american. also, my centennial is pretty old. would citra be too bold for aroma for this??
thanks

Hoping to revive this thread.

I'm about to finish off my first keg of this and it's just lovely. Even so, I'm thinking of altering the recipe a touch to bring it more in line with my idea of an American stout. The original recipe produces a damn fine beer but a bit too malty and not quite hop forward enough to fit my expectations of an American stout. Next time I brew this I'm probably going to do a 1 ounce Centennial addition at 20 minutes and perhaps even drop the roasted barley to 12 ounces.

Anyone tweaked this recipe or have any thought on my ideas?

Back