anyone know what to call this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
My last batch of Imperial stout went from the primary to the secondary and I was left with a really rich 1/2 gallon of beer and some great White labs Irish ale Yeast in the bottom of the primary. I was going to toss it, but on a whim I grabbed 4 lbs of brown sugar (light) on the way home from work the next day, boiled it in 2 gallons of water, cooled it and tossed it into the primary.

It sat for 8 days or so and then I bottled it with a little dextrose 4 days ago.

I sampled one last night because I was afraid it might be overcarbonating. It had almost no carbonation, but it tasted delicious. It was really sweet with a chocolatey caramel taste. It will be great to sip by the fire this winter, but.....

WHAT THE @$#^@$% IS IT?????? Have I invented something? (Please be gentle)

Sounds delicious. I would say that it is closely related to beer, just with a ton of sugar and molasses (brown sugar). Sounds like a pretty high alcohol content too. What was the OG and the FG?

- WW

I assume there were hops in your Imperial Stout (although not many). So you have some residual hops in there as well. Hmmm....

Water, Hops, Malt, Yeast - Sounds like beer to me.

- WW

You don't think that'd be CAMRA approved orfy? Where's that EAC thread... :fro:

I did not say that I was going to call it beer. At the risk of offending some very respectable brewers present, I would remind everyone that beer would never have been invented if everyone just did the same old thing!
However, I agree that it may not be beer. It has, however given me an extremely good idea of exactly what brown sugar can do as an ingredient.

It is also delicious. So either way you look at it it is a win win for me, and it cost me $3.00 for two bags of brown sugar.

It was such an experiment I am emberrased to say that I did not even measure the og or fg. It does definitely come in around 8% by my best guess from the taste. You can definitely taste the Galena Hops and it is sweet! if I were expecting beer and i took a sip of this stuff, it would probably be sprayed back out. I intend to age it until late november or so. Thanks all!

orfy said:
It's not beer, that's for sure!

captain.obvious.jpg

HA HA HA! Right you are, but do not forget that it's dad is one hell of an Imperial Stout. Any ideas on bottle conditioning a high gravity beer? I have a thread on "bottling/kegging" that I would really like you to look at, it's far from obvious.

Latest posts

Back